Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Malcolm McKay
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Aug 2004

Whoopee!!!! a bonus. Always interesting. Thanks Blu_2.

Comment

• Blue_2
      Meteor spanner monkey...
      • Feb 2010

09/06/2019 Update

Morning all! It's sort of a good news/bad news start to this update, but all for technical/ I.T reasons. I have mentioned that Flickr, who after Photobucket's soul was sold to the Devil by Smugmug when they took them over were my photo hosting site of choice, have put a 1000 image limit on free accounts, and therefore I was looking elsewhere? Because I'm sorry, I'm happy to give my time compiling these forum mumblings but I'm no way paying actual money out of my own pocket to bring these updates to you. I am, after all, a Yorkshireman! Well anyway, I have found what looks to be a good hosting site, Postimage.org. The bad news is I have yet to work out how to drive it properly, so bear with me folks! This post could take some head scratching and throwing of keyboards before it arrives on your monitors in it's usual slick (!), professionally presented(!!) format...
      Speaking of Photobucket, after their trick of holding users to ransom by blocking all their photos unless they paid, then relenting and reinstating their linked photos with a hoofing great PB watermark on, it appears from notifications I have received recently that they are intending to start being a set of asshats again by blurring account holders' previous hosted pictures. Given that probably the first 2/3rds of this thread contains photos hosted by them, this will likely affect us. So if you go trawling back through this thread to check on something, or maybe do some research for your own project because you vaguely remember seeing a pic of that bit of Meteor on here a couple of years ago and you find the image has been rendered useless, I can only apologise. It's not like these online forums are a depository for useful information or anything after all is it?! As I say, asshats...

Anyway, rant at the injustice of online hosting sites over, here we go with yesterday's doings. It would be fair to say that the weather at Elvington has been better. Rain, with an extra helping of rain, and oh yes wind on the side. So much so that the team umbrella had to be broken out to cross the windblown, rain-lashed wastelands between the NAAFI and the hangar after the traditions of bacon o'clock had been observed!

As well as myself, Kev Penfold and his better half Elaine were with us. Normally found at SYAM playing with things beginning with V (Varsity, Vulcan...) they come north when they can to help with 788. Kev is in charge of getting his head around 788's wiring systems, and the butchery they have endured over the years. Elaine yesterday was his able assistant, but is equally good at turning her hand to other tasks, painting bits of aircraft, and my wallet, for example...! Anyway they are both very welcome, and it has to be said Kev has quite a job of work on. Although if thing go right over the next few weeks, his burden may be eased considerably. Watch this space...! Anyway, they started on in and under the fuel tank bay, tracing the cut wires... (as you can see in this shot our local friendly Nimrod team zapped our fuel tank last week. And our ladder. And our AP's. Revenge will be swift and childish...)

While I carried on the work on the undercarriage door. The inside needed a serious amount of prep work as you can see, and replacement of several sections of the metal strip holding the rubber seal in place

This took a lot of work. The poor door really was a very unhappy piece of tin. While rubbing it back I did find under the many layers of grey the original silver finish though...

Lunch o'clock came, and so we went to feed, dodging the showers. The electrical team had had a successful morning; while Kev is more used to big delta winged jets, he reckons the Meteor's systems are starting to make sense to him now. This is encouraging, as I freely admit I wouldn't know where to start! After lunch we were back at it, Kev having started to work his way forward under the jet, and finally just before cake o'clock I was in a position to finally prime the inside of the door!

While we were having a rest, another wave of monsoon passed through. Much more weather like that and the famous Tadcaster paddy fields will be doing very well for themselves! On returning to the hangar as a window of opportunity in the weather presented itself (i.e marginally less rain), I began applying the top coat to the door. First, I laid the door on foam on the trestles, then set about returning the inside face of the door to the silver it had worn years previously

You can see in the background of this shot Kev and Elaine hard at work in among the electrics under 788. The occasional victorious shout emanating from under there was encouraging to hear!

Once the edges and inside face of the door had dried sufficiently, I turned it over to paint the outer skin of the door. It too turned out well

In the background, Kev is perusing the port side JB, and everything around it. That panel he is stood in front of is screwed on, and he wants that, the round access panel, and the large panel's counterpart on the starboard side removed for his next visit. Best add that to the jobs board then....
      Just before close of play Kev and I hung the door back on 788, to keep it out of harm's way

I'm quite happy with that little job of work! So, looking ahead... There's still loads to do. Kev found a lot more to be optimistic about yesterday as regards electrics, this is good. As mentioned he also needs more access panels off, this is bad. Well, bad news for my drill and probably most of the 2ba screws holding the panels on! These panels will not have been off since 1966 at least, so they may put up a fight. Nothing we can't solve though! Overall, where it hasn't been cut or exposed to the weather 788's wiring is in good order. The butchered centre section loom has annoyed Kev, as a lot of the damage there was no need for. Stuff has been cut for the sake of cutting it, rather than to ease transport it would seem. But, this may be a non-issue if recent discussions bear fruit... (see, that was a teaser, that was!). So removing the nose and accessing the undercarriage slides down the priority list for now, although the nose securing bolts will still receive regular doses of 'Meteor Cocktail' as Eloise dubbed it the other week to try and free them off.
      I'm not going to be on site at all next week. For some reason I am being sent to Duxford on the Saturday, it seems as part of the team representing YAM at the AHUK (formerly BAPC) AGM there. Sunday I am busy with other stuff, so unless I sneak a sneaky day off work in the week or one of my minions gets a day in on 788 and reports back to me this is the last you'll hear from 788 for a fortnight or so...

One thing I nearly forgot, Kev brought us a rather lovely and useful little present...

Now stowed safely in the toolchest, it'll be a much valued bit of kit. Cheers Kev!
      Last edited by Blue_2; 9th June 2019, 07:28.
      Restoring Meteor NF.14 WS788, one rusty nail at a time...

Comment

• Blue_2
        Meteor spanner monkey...
        • Feb 2010

I forgot to add; if anyone on here is at Duxford on Saturday do come and say hello; I'll be the bloke in the maroon YAM t-shirt eying up any and all resident Meteors with a view to pillaging them!

Comment

• Malcolm McKay
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Aug 2004

Excellent update - good to see the electrics are making progress.

I am led to believe it is now summer in the UK, that scene looks like what it's like down here and we're in winter at the moment.

Comment

• Blue_2
            Meteor spanner monkey...
            • Feb 2010

Comment

• Blue_2
              Meteor spanner monkey...
              • Feb 2010

Right now, the weather here is cold, wet and windy. Most un-summery. It's given to stay like this for the next few days.
              At least 788 is out of the weather!

Comment

• Mustang51
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Sep 2008

Ahhhhhh a British Summer............ I clearly remember the comments at Legends last year about it being 30 degrees (C)..............and everyone melting..............

Comment

• Trolly Aux
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • May 2006

super updates and super work by a super bunch of people, Carry on Restoring
                  SMOKE SMOKE GO!
                  TA out

Comment

• Blue_2
                    Meteor spanner monkey...
                    • Feb 2010

Well the weather has got little or no better in deepest darkest Yorkshire. I would have had a sneaky YAM day today, had it not been for my car failing MOT on a couple of little faults I hadn't envisaged, but hey ho. Eloise contacted me from YAM earlier asking what she could do on 788, so I tasked her with making a start on removing the nose panels Kev had asked for to be removed before his next visit. As always the first step is to clear the paint off the screw heads, and bathe them in the first penetrating oil they will have seen in decades, before leaving them to think about it. So, with a little help from John of the Victor team, this is what she did! Port side, the most important one as far as Kev is concerned as a lot of the power systems and the ground power relays live behind here:

...and it's counterpart on the Starboard side

This gets us a hop step and jump ahead of the game, as these old screws are now exposed and the penetrating oil has time to work its way in and do it's thing. Encouragingly they managed to get a couple of the screws to cooperate today! So, time, another couple of doses of Meteor Cocktail, and it'll be time to see what comes undone willingly and what has a date with Mr. Drill...

Comment

• jeepman
                      infrequent poster now
                      • Apr 2004

Before you resort to the drill, do you ever try applying heat to the screw head with a soldering iron? One more tool in the arsenal perhaps?
                      JM

Comment

• Blue_2
                        Meteor spanner monkey...
                        • Feb 2010

I'm quite happy to drill them; they'll be getting new screws anyway, and fitting new captive nuts is no bother.
                        While the warming method might work, I think given the number of screws in those panels we'll still be there at Christmas trying to remove them!

Comment

• ZRX61
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • May 2005

If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Comment

• Blue_2
                            Meteor spanner monkey...
                            • Feb 2010

Any mention of dynamite in there...?! I'm hoping that, given that I can exert far more "persuasive force" on the screws than little Eloise can, that and the oil bath will have persuaded many of the screws to see our way of thinking...

Comment

• Blue_2
                              Meteor spanner monkey...
                              • Feb 2010

Meteor WS788 Team on Tour...

Afternoon all! While I haven't been at YAM this weekend, I was down at Duxford yesterday for the AHUK meeting. While I was there I felt it would have been rude not to go looking for Meteors, so this is exactly what I did... I didn't have to travel far from the conference facilities in the 'superhangar' to find my first Meteor reference. I can think of a far better home for this sign!

Round the other side of the hangar I found this beautifully sectioned Derwent; beautiful, but sacrilege!

A wander took me to the hangar where a rather pretty example of the F.8, and another very nice Derwent 9, resided...

Pretty, but sat rather low I thought. On moving round to the nose, the reason became clear...

Yep, that port leg really isn't very happy. Other than that, and a couple of minor rigging issues, she's a nice little example!
                              I do know there is a sad looking T.7 on site too, but I didn't have the time to go poking around. But there you go, 788's holiday snaps! Normal service should resume next weekend...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                              X