Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (1 members and 4 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trak-Tor
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jan 2012

The Tamiya Clear Red also exists in Spray can version ( TAMIYA SPRAY LACQUER TS74 Clear Red):

TAMIYA SPRAY LACQUER TS74 Clear Red

But I'm not sure about the availability...

Juraj

Comment

• TEXANTOMCAT
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Blue_2 View Post
      TT, to clarify are you saying I need to thin the Tamiya clear red paint before using it? Just checking as I have decided to go get myself a pot on my way to work seeing as I am not starting work until lunchtime today. I do like the Tamiya acrylics.
      Malcolm, it was a relief when I pulled that panel. Regarding the bulbs they are the old filament type. If it burns the paint I have plenty more bulbs to go at so as long as they don't blow they can cycle back through the paint shop and the storage box!
      Wallace, everywhere the wiring has stayed under cover, it's like new. It's only in a couple of places where the UV has got to it there's any perishing. A couple of tails which go to the top of the glare shields, a bit on the stbd wall where the outer sheathing of the loom bundle has been damaged, other than that it's spot on.
      Hey Blue 2 - sorry for the delay - yes like all Tamiya Acrylics they can brush paint but they dry pretty quickly and in my experience brush painting their clear paints a dollop of their thinner helps no end - otherwise they can go a bit gloopy - another poster has shown they do it in a spray can (which tend to be small and quite pricey but one pass should do a lot of bulbs ) I use Humbrol meself- and they do a clear red I think....

Keep up these updates they're really good!

ATB

TT
      Our Beech 18 & T-6@www.beechrestorations.com
      Visit Sywell Aviation Museum @
      www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/museum.php
      Sywell Airshow 17.8.2014

Comment

• Blue_2
        Meteor spanner monkey...
        • Feb 2010

Well... I visited Hobbycraft in Hull this morning on my way to work, tramped to the Tamiya stand... and was greeted with every tamiya colour in the range except clear red! Some little bounder had been shopping before me. Checked the spray selection... nada.
        Hobbycraft must have something else suitable thought I, and indeed they did. After much searching I found actual proper glass paint, which is also happy with heat! So for about twice the cost of the tamiya offering I have a bottle to try. Tomorrow night when I get home from work I'll give it a shot; watch this space...
        Restoring Meteor NF.14 WS788, one rusty nail at a time...

Comment

• Blue_2
          Meteor spanner monkey...
          • Feb 2010

06/02/19 Midweek update

Our facebook followers have seen this, so I only thought it fair it got shared on here too! As I mentioned in the above post, I went to Hull's Hobbycraft on Monday seeking a pot of Tamiya Clear Red paint with which to paint up a batch of bulbs for 788's cockpit illumination, only to be disappointed to find they had none! However a scout around the shop revealed a dark, dusty and often overlooked corner of the shop where glass paint lurked. I purchased a pot of a product called Pebeo Vitrea glass paint in a fetching shade called Pepper Red. According to the bottle, this would live happily with glass and high temperatures. Worth a punt I thought, so I bought a bottle. Last night I inflicted 2 coats of pebeo on some test victims... and was pleasantly surprised!
          51283434_2242231936048836_8551320357812830208_n by Graham Buckle, on Flickr
          Today I got finished early at work, and set up an incredibly hi-tech production line, pebeo-ing another batch of bulbs...
          51475096_2242938622644834_1724391272984084480_n by Graham Buckle, on Flickr
          Finally after a gentle bake off in front of the kitchen fire I returned them, and the 5 I had already painted with acrylic, to their box ready to go to the museum on Saturday.
          51278376_2243017062636990_622207166232657920_o by Graham Buckle, on Flickr
          We'll see then just how good the paints are. I have little faith in the acrylics, but the pebeo-ed lamps I have very high hopes for. Fingers crossed...

Comment

• Trak-Tor
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Jan 2012

Great! Another problem solved!
            Which is the next one?
            Thanks for the detailed report.

Juraj

Comment

• PeterVerney
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • May 2009

Thanks for all the updates, as you see at long last I can now get on the forum again
              Man is not lost. Only temporarily uncertain of his position.

Comment

• Blue_2
                Meteor spanner monkey...
                • Feb 2010

Good to have you back Peter!

Juraj, there's certainly plenty of problems to go at!

Comment

• Malcolm McKay
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Aug 2004

Good work Blue_2 - the old girl will be lit up like a Christmas tree soon.

Comment

• Blue_2
                    Meteor spanner monkey...
                    • Feb 2010

Hopefully the rear cockpit will be lit up exactly as per the book at the weekend; another unique thing for our 788!

Comment

• Blue_2
                      Meteor spanner monkey...
                      • Feb 2010

Further to the above post, you'll all have to wait until next weekend to find out if the bulb paint is any good. My car decided to tell me it didn't want to go to YAM this weekend, by suffering clutch failure on the way home from work last night. So no update this week I'm afraid, Malcolm will be most grumpy!

Comment

• DH82EH
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Jan 2013

No update?!?!
                        I want my money back!!

Hope the bill for the clutch isn't too painful.
                        As a friend said to me, when a car I had crapped out, "ownership has its privileges"

All best.

Andy

Comment

• Blue_2
                          Meteor spanner monkey...
                          • Feb 2010

425 all in Andy, including recovering her back to the guy's workshop in Hull. I don't have the facilities, or the interest in working on cars, to do such things as clutches any more. Once upon a time I would, but now when it comes to spannering if it ain't an aircraft I'm not interested!

Comment

• Malcolm McKay
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Aug 2004

Blue_2 I am devastated. I will attempt to be brave and endure this sad interlude.

I understand that you must see to having your means of travel repaired so that you can continue your appointed task to bring the subject of our hopes and dreams to the sunlit uplands of mechanical and, dare I say it, spiritual completeness.

I could say say more but there is a catch in my throat and a tear in my eye as I face the forthcoming week - but I will be brave and soldier on ...........

Comment

• Blue_2
                              Meteor spanner monkey...
                              • Feb 2010

Be brave Malcolm. Be brave...

Comment

• Blue_2
                                Meteor spanner monkey...
                                • Feb 2010

17/02/2019 Update.... Guess who's back?!!
                                Yes, Ladies and Gentlefolk, normal service has been resumed. After last weekend's enforced absence due to my Mini deciding it didn't need a clutch after all, the work on WS788 has resumed. And today, with reinforcements from my friend Simon and some of my friends on the Victor team, oh how it has resumed!
                                First bit of business after the obligatory bacon and brew was the F.8 though. She needed only an accelerometer to complete her cockpit, which has been a side project for me for the last few months. I spied one on Thiefbay, passed it up the tree at YAM... and it was waiting on the bench for me today. So, find screws, and fit...and that's the F.8's cockpit complete.
                                51977421_2249642765307753_390235385575243776_n by Graham Buckle, on Flickr
                                So, good deed done for the F.8, it was back to 788. For once I had the benefit of bodies on the jet, as my friend Simon came to do a day on the jet. In addition, Scott and Eloise of the Victor team found themselves under-employed and came to offer their services, as later in the day did John. So pretty soon we had a 3-pronged attack on 788 going; myself in the rear cockpit attending to the lighting circuits, Simon on the wheels, and Scott and Eloise fitting the rear portions of the rudder cable runs. Simon's job was to strip the 2 wheel rims we received the other week down to their components, and remove the remains of the tyre which had been cut off one. He made a good start on the less bad one, stripping off the split rim and the brake drum quite quickly
                                52384648_2249658575306172_6366850087842217984_o by Graham Buckle, on Flickr
                                I was busy in the cockpit, making and fitting a new loom for the ASI/Altimeter and Rebecca controller cockpit illuminations. The loom for the master compass light was intact and happy, however the bulb was duff. Enter stage left the box of bulbs I repainted a couple of weeks back. The Rebecca controller bulb and the Master compass bulb were both replaced with the freshly repainted items as one was duff and the other had a white bulb in I had fitted for testing purposes a few months ago. However the ASI/altimeter lamp retains an original bulb. Rather than bringing the whole AP into an already crowded working space, I just brough the page I needed and taped it onto the scope mount while I was working.
                                52366912_2249735078631855_8237101568344719360_n by Graham Buckle, on Flickr
                                Just before lunch my defectees from the Victor team checked in. I allocated their jobs, and after letting them re-familiarise themselves using the AP's, we adjourned for lunch. After fodder had been had, Eloise disappeared into the rear fuselage to fit the rear portions of the rudder cables, 'assisted' by Scott from outside
                                52338490_2249734978631865_4601294826091053056_n by Graham Buckle, on Flickr
                                Simon carried on battling wheels, and I removed 788's rear seat to allow better access to check out the wiring behind the starboard fuselage wall electrical panel and fuse box. With help from John, the Victor's electrical diagram genius, I worked out from the book where the common feed was for the 4 separate rear cockpit lighting systems, and Eloise and Scott really cracked on with reinstating the rear portion of the rudder cables. The end of a productive afternoon saw the rudder cables in, and just needing a few more fairleads fitting, and the second wheel rim split.
                                52422154_2249735168631846_6079017786439368704_n by Graham Buckle, on Flickr
                                In addition one of the chopped off tyre beads was removed from the rim, after some very handy work by Simon, Scott, John and myself. We celebrated this win by John proudly posing with the tyre bead!
                                52729390_2249778185294211_1213439612442116096_n by Graham Buckle, on Flickr
                                He really did amaze us with his persistence and strength fighting this off its rim; a great effort much appreciated.
                                51926031_2249778245294205_57440488889778176_n by Graham Buckle, on Flickr
                                And the wiring? Well, let's just say that not only does it now work off the dimmer switches as it should, but the painted bulbs are absolutely perfect too!
                                52504129_2249752945296735_8109007609010323456_n by Graham Buckle, on Flickr

52668744_2249753058630057_6924848914633850880_n by Graham Buckle, on Flickr

52106817_2249753025296727_6148686674286084096_n by Graham Buckle, on Flickr

52381262_2249752995296730_5335246102083928064_n by Graham Buckle, on Flickr
                                So there you go; I think you'll agree that after a week's absence we are back in fine style! Huge thanks to all who turned out to help 788 today; let's see what next weekend sees resurrected on our old girl. But for now, I think the rear cockpit lighting up on demand for the first time since 1966 is plenty to be proud of...
                                Last edited by Blue_2; 17th February 2019, 20:08.

Comment

• Malcolm McKay
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Aug 2004

About time too !!!!!! Now the week can begin on a high note.

Excellent stuff and good to see the effect of the red painted bulbs.

Comment

• Lingo Dog
                                    Rank 2 Registered User
                                    • Oct 2018

As ever, a joy to read and learn of the progress being made. Well done, team!!

Comment

• Gusmobile
                                      Rank 4 Registered User
                                      • Nov 2017

I thought if I, if in any way, was addicted to some questionable substances it would be bad enough. But, how little did I know, that your weekly updates would give me a 'fix' from a totally different direction. It crept up and took me in its fold before I was able to see clearly what you have done! Thank you so much for your efforts, which are a true inspiration to anyone reading your on-going crusade.

Comment

• DH82EH
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Jan 2013

Well, how's that for a meaty Meteor update huh?
                                        Old 788 has even made a meal of poor Eloise!
                                        Great to see all the success and great to have a window in to all the fun and antics you folks are enjoying.
                                        Nothing better than having a ball while all along getting things to progress so nicely. Good on you all.
                                        Only thing missing is a picture of the new clutch ;P.... (this clowns just a laugh a minute heh?)

Great stuff Blue.
                                        Thanks!

Comment

• K5054NZ
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • May 2008

You people seem to be having far too much fun. I'm even more jealous! It must make the hard work that much easier when you're in a team that gets along and can have a laugh.
                                          "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X