Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Blue 2. 'Meteor Boys' is planned to launch at Duxford's show September 2016.

Comment

More information on "Meteor Boys" please - if it has been discussed here I have missed it!
      Charlie

Keep smiling - it's never as bad as you think!!

Comment

If it does not breach the commercial rules of the forum. I am the author of 'Meteor Boys' which is being published by Grub Street as one of their successful 'Boys' series of books which focus on personal accounts by air and ground crew of the type. I have interviewed around 70 Meteor chaps covering every aspects of its service.

Thanks for asking.

Comment

Sounds good. Will have to add that to my shelf I think Steve!
          Restoring Meteor NF.14 WS788, one rusty nail at a time...

Comment

These are some pictures of G-ARCX the NF14 prototype taken over the years. The cockpit used to opened at times but I dont know if that is the case nowadays.
            Attached Files
            Robert Whitton,
            Edinburgh, Scotland

Comment

Thanks Steve - will certainly be on my list for next Autumn.
              Charlie

Comment

I am very interested in this, served on 152 as a nav/rad and flew in WS788 several times. I took this photo in Oct 54 on my first roll of colour film off Gt Yarmouth. Will be interested to see the finished article.

Man is not lost. Only temporarily uncertain of his position.

Comment

She looks in pretty good state inside Blue!
                  Cheers,Peter
                  "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

Comment

Nice photo Peter. Does the red radome denote 'B' Flight?

Comment

You'll find it's not red, just the natural colour of the material used.

Comment

Yes it was natural sort of tan colour, and yes we were in B flight.

Comment

All the best on your latest venture B2 hope to get up to Elvington in the near future for a look see.

Comment

Thanks for that. Was asking the question as I have a photo of nine 152 Sqn Meteors in an arrow head formation and some have black radomes.

Comment

I remember there were a mixture of black and tan radomes but cannot now remember if it indicated the flight although I'm fairly certain not. Note the tailbone of WS788 is blue which does indicate the flight. The factory no doubt had a shortage of black paint.

Comment

07/12/15 Update
                                Not a working day as such, but I popped in to the museum yesterday in passing to make sure all was well with the Meteor given the high winds the North has endured recently. I'm pleased to say she hasn't suffered any ill effects and is still quite snug under her cover!

I'd just like to say a big thankyou to all those who have stepped forward with parts, advice etc so far. And Peter, thankyou for posting the in service pic of 788! She is in good hands now.

Comment

And Seahawk!
                                  Originally posted by Robert Whitton View Post
                                  These are some pictures of G-ARCX the NF14 prototype taken over the years. The cockpit used to opened at times but I dont know if that is the case nowadays.
                                  WANTED FAIREY FIREFLY parts!
                                  Griffon74@btinternet.com

Comment

11/12/2015 Update
                                    A sneaky Friday off meant I could get a bit done on the Meteor. While I can't make a proper start until the jet is moved over to the Handley Page building, there is much to do with some of the bits and pieces already off the jet. My plan for the day was to rub down and prime the 2 lower fillet panels I took off the other week, and have a go at removing the flaps. The plan was scuppered by spending the morning showing a couple of chaps around the museum who I hope could prove beneficial to the museum's aircraft in the long term, so I decided to just get the 2 fillet panels rubbed down and sorted.
                                    First victim!

I get the feeling my new sander is not going to stay pristine for very long...

While rubbing back I found what I take to be an inspector's stamp and a part number. As with the Victor I shall try to record any and all such discoveries

It was certainly a good afternoon to be working indoors, as the weather outside had really taken a turn for the worse!

Morale soared as the prep of one panel was completed... then dropped as the second, worse panel took its place on the bench!

Though by the end of the day both panels were ready to be primed. Or turned into a piece of abstract sculpture, whichever you prefer

After the primer had dried I took them over to the Meteor's temporary component store, the pallet the nose cone currently lives on.

While I was working in the HP I also found under one of the desks the kit of parts that constitutes the missing kick-step.

Has anyone got a better one kicking around? Or even some better innards than this poor specimen has?
                                    As the afternoon darkened, I called it a day

But not before catching 788 looking 'reflective' after the afternoon's downpour!

Comment

Well done,thanks for the updates Good luck.

Comment

Please keep the updates coming Blue I'm really interested to see the fruits of your labours and to see how 788 develops over the coming months/years.

Comment

Me too, Blue. When does the old girl move to the HP building you mentioned?
                                          Charlie

Comment

Working...
                                          X