No announcement yet.

A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we have new seals then new seals it will be!
    Restoring Meteor NF.14 WS788, one rusty nail at a time...

Comment

Fab work guys - I doth my cap to you! Seriously though, I love your updates - it's like reading a favourite book that once picked up, it's difficult to put down
      BOLTER, BOLTER FULL POWER! Keith, if he bolts again we'll have to divert him to St Mawgan

Comment

Great update B2 - it is a rare pleasure when anything hyd related goes better than expected
        Great progress as well - lovely to see !

rgds baz

Comment

"..... it's like reading a favourite book that once picked up, it's difficult to put down".

Perfectly put. It is indeed. And I am now only an hour away so once I have found cameras and other miscellaneous items ready for a trip to YAM,from a pile of packing cases, I'll be there!!

Comment

I'm glad you all enjoy our updates. It's nice to be able to bring them to you all once more after the hiatus caused by photobucket deciding to take its bat home (yes, I am still bitter...!).
            If we can raise awareness of the NF14 as a type, and awareness of some of the good work that is being achieved at YAM, then it's all good!
            We hope to be back on site on Sunday, after shamelessly skiving at Scampton airshow on the Saturday. If you see us at Scampton, or at Elvington, do say hello!

Comment

Whooo! Someone's found a way to get the photos working again: Check out the "Photobucket Fix" thread

https://forum.keypublishing.com/show...hotobucket-Fix

Working for me: I've got all the photos back on this thread...

Comment

Blue_2 wrote

"If we have new seals then new seals it will be!"

What are you folks trying to do? turn this in to a replica of a Meteor? Those aren't the seals it left the factory with!!

Great work folks. Great thread.

Andy

Comment

Mahone, oooh! If that sorts the thread's previous posts I shall be a happy chappie. Will give that a go over the weekend, cheers for the heads up.
                  Andy, we are going for new build. And like a certain V-bomber, then attempting to flog the original bits for a small fortune!!!

Comment

Are these seals any kind of standard size or something unique and for that particular application only?

Comment

we are going for new build. And like a certain V-bomber, then attempting to flog the original bits for a small fortune!!!

And my family think I am not very streetwise! My advice is to delete the word 'small' from the above!

Comment

Having seen the price of bits of Vulcan the Vulcan lot were selling at Scampton airshow on Saturday, my use of the word small does indeed seem ironic...!

We had another day of Meteor fettling yesterday, and welcomed a new member to the team, Sheridan. As well as having the misfortune of being married to Rich, she appears to have been infected with the Meteor bug too, the poor soul! She is also our nominated team cake baker...!

After a few solid sessions of metalwork, we decided that a change was as good as a rest and decided to get on with reinstating the controls and the hydraulics. Our plan was that Rich would start wrangling pipes to replace those missing from the wing leading edges, and blanking off the surplus circuits such as the u/c retract circuits. I would finish overhauling the starboard cannon bay aileron control rod pivot, and Shez cleaned up the control rod rollers salvaged off VZ568 last year and readied them for use. Andy also arrived, and carried on with paint stripping part 36,000 on the starboard inner gear door. I soon had the pivot rebuilt and back in its customary place
                        21558755_1943636539241712_6921056154825533559_n
                        Not long after this, we had the main starboard aileron rod in
                        21462434_1943636562575043_9148934113559129810_n
                        With freshly overhauled rollers. From being salvaged by Ali off a wreck on a Welsh hillside, to serviceable and fitted and doing their job once more!
                        21463306_1943636592575040_1818034291201775173_n
                        We fitted the port set too, so we don't lose them!
                        21617745_1943636642575035_3866422542929337148_n
                        Rich was busy blanking and plumbing
                        21433237_1943636722575027_8644027799250647867_n
                        In both leading edges!
                        21463000_1943636689241697_8800114588400302399_n
                        Andy gave him a hand too, or rather 2 hands!
                        21430625_1943636749241691_7262931804836158175_n
                        If you recall, as an NF14 our jet should have outboard flaps. However ours wears spurious NF12 outer wings, which are flapless, so the hydraulics to the outboard flaps are redundant. Here Andy is in the transport joint in the starboard wing, removing the snipped pipes and fitting blanking unions. If you recall, Ali already blanked those on the port side many moons ago.
                        He also proudly showed off the u/c door, very nearly ready for paint
                        21557914_1943636772575022_973353010136428740_n
                        A little sand over and it will be ready to prime and paint. Another job nearly jobbed!
                        Finally,we took the dark clouds gathering as our cue to pack up and go home
                        21430469_1943636795908353_7304655645875033191_n
                        Unless Rich sneaks an update, that's all from us until I get back from Malta!
                        Last edited by Blue_2; 11th September 2017, 19:31.

Comment

...one thing I forgot to mention; I am told that hopefully when I get back off holiday, 788 will be going into the main hangar so we can get on with stripping and repainting her over the winter months.
                          The first thing that will be happening when she rolls inside is that the canopy will be coming off and going on its travels. When it returns, it will have a full set of gleaming new transparencies fitted!

Comment

What system are the Breeze Connectors and chopped-off cable looms associated with?
                            Andy

Comment

Generators, engine systems, voltage regulators, undercarriage indicator wiring, and pretty much anything else located from the wing roots outwards. All the looms have been mutilated at their joints in a similar way, so we have a lot of work to do with the wiring.

Comment

Good to hear 788 is going inside for the winter, and very nice to see your continuing hard work.
                                Last edited by PeterVerney; 13th September 2017, 19:22. Reason: Phoytofuc*it not playing ball
                                Man is not lost. Only temporarily uncertain of his position.

Comment

We have been told she is coming in, and the chap tasked with making the new canopy is champing at the bit. So fingers crossed, because after all the work that has gone into that cockpit the lid ain't coming off while she's outside!

Comment

I do hope it's a permanent home under cover (at least until she's taxiable, and then only out in good weather............).

Andy

Comment

The news just keeps on getting better and better!

Comment

Fantastic news. Just fantastic!
                                        "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Comment

What he said! I attended the Allied Air Forces Memorial Day at Elvington recently and had another chance to have a good look at this lovely aircraft.

Comment

Working...
                                          X