Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shuttleworth Trust Aero Engines

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • avion ancien
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Aug 2007

One last try! Although I've contacted the AEHS and RRHT, and await their replies, if there is anyone, SVAS member or otherwise, who would be willing to help me buit would prefer not to make such an offer publicly, please do feel free to contact me by way of a PM.

Comment

• trekbuster
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by avion ancien View Post
      Thank you, TwinOtter23. I'll certainly pursue that lead. But I have to say that I'm a little surprised that no SVAS members have offered help. But maybe they are not permitted to do so?
      It may be that SVAS members such as myself don't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of their engine collection and live 130 miles away and won't be returning to OW till around Christmas time. If you can wait that long.........

Comment

• avion ancien
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Aug 2007

Thank you, trekbuster. Yes, I know that it's the wrong time of the year. But that just the way that things have panned out! So if you can help me, when next you visit Old Warden, I'll be grateful. And if, in the meantime, I manage to get the information by an alternative method, I'll post to that effect here.

Comment

• Creaking Door
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Sep 2006

WA$.

Comment

• avion ancien
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Aug 2007

Thank you, Creaking Door, for taking those photographs. But they leave me wondering why, if the Shuttleworth Trust does not wish 'to place such information in the public domain', it has such detailed information boards on display and does not prevent the information thereon being copied and removed. Anyhow, as I still haven't written the article for which this information was required, the material is most useful. Thank you, again.

Comment

• Creaking Door
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Sep 2006

Yes, I've never been that convinced by the 'security' or 'stolen to order' argument that some museums use to restrict photography or information about exhibits being in the public domain; yes, I'm sure their security advisers and insurers tell them not to 'advertise' the presence of valuable exhibits but how does that not conflict fundamentally with the purpose of a museum!

I'm not dismissing security concerns, I'm somewhat paranoid about my own home security (and on this forum I don't use my own name) but then I'm not trying to run a 'commercial' museum either!

However, having said that, museums are usually short-staffed, even volunteer staff, and one answered request online may 'open the floodgates' as it were.

I took these photographs a couple of years ago when I became interested in ANZANI engines, I've also got some (poor) photographs of the engines themselves, and took photographs of the display boards so I knew later what I had photographed.

I think I've also got photographs of the ANZANI engines at RAF Hendon somewhere?
              Last edited by Creaking Door; 12th January 2019, 11:03.
              WA$.

Comment

• Chipmunk Carol
                Surly bond slipper
                • Aug 2003

Hey aa, I was just leaving Shuttleworth's employment about the time you wrote your letter. Who exactly did you address it to and who replied?

At that time, they did not really have a department dealing with public enquiries of that nature. You mention the Trust a number of times and it is worth understanding that the Trust consists of many more sections than the aviation side, which is a relatively small part of it*. When I was there, I don't believe any of the Trustees were full-time employees. The aviation side revolved around the visitor attraction (including the extremely popular Swiss Garden & playground & educational facilities), event organising (weddings, parties, large non-aviation group events), the shop, restaurant and engineering and the administration of all of the above. Public enquiries were tricky and not handled by one person but farmed out to which ever one of the above departments appeared to be most appropriate.

The SVAS handled most of the enthusiasts' queries. However, if you wrote to the Trustees, there is a possibility that your query would not get forwarded to the SVAS as they were, up until the summer of 2015, located in a different building and their paths rarely crossed. The SVAS volunteers may only come in to work randomly, once or twice a week, and then possibly not for a full day. They are volunteers and it is wonderful the amount of time that is given for free and with deep passion by them.

Also, just asking for a list of engines, although definitely not intended, may appear like asking someone their bank balance. I honestly don't know in this case, but organisations often hold spare engines in storage for backup or trading purposes and they would not want to show their hand. I don't think it was so much the security of the place that was a concern. We already know the Collection is worth millions, just by owning a single Spitfire and Hurricane.

On top of this, there are quite a large number of aircraft at Shuttleworth and to collect all that information would take a considerable amount of time to collate. If you offered to pay (expect possibly 60/hr, if you didn't get a volunteer) you might (guessing) get a more favourable response, so long as your letter was written to the right place. I am not sure there is a 'right' place, but you could always start with enquiries@shuttleworth.org.
                de Havilland forever!

Comment

• avion ancien
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Aug 2007

Carol, I'll send you a PM setting out the entirety of my correspondence on this subject with the Shuttleworth Trust. I'm not sure that it would be appropriate to post that on a public forum but it suffices to say that I started that correspondence with an e-mail addressed to enquiries@shuttleworth.org which was forwarded internally.
                  Last edited by avion ancien; 12th January 2019, 10:36.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                  X