Looking into the service of Sgt Charles Ernest Crosher (Observer) who joined 242

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

Someone has asked a question and i wonder if anyone on here can point out any answers or source of information please.I can pass on any replies or point him to this thread.

" I'm looking into the service of Sgt Charles Ernest Crosher (Observer) who joined 242 in late Feb 1940. I'm hoping that someone can clarify or suggest why Charles (as an Observer) was posted to 242, when they were or had converted to Hurricanes from the Fairey Battle in Jan/Feb 1940? He was posted in on the 25th of Feb and out on 10th May. Did 242 retain any Battles for training purposes?

May 10th is obviously an important date to have been posted out of 242, he was sent to Uxbridge where he (eventually) went to France, I'm guessing to replace lost aircrews. He only spent 3 days in France so I would hazard a guess that he went to France just before the AASF pulled out.

No flying either non-op or operational until mid July when he joined 59 Squadron according to his log book.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Lorenzo."

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Charles Ernest Crosher Service number 751707 Source: Air 78/40

This number in range 740000 to 759999 from Jan 1937 for RAFVR Pilots (Max Known Issued 759361 )

His number is in AFL from Sept 1943 which suggests he was Warrant Officer by 1943

Can't find branch but maybe pilot not Observer

Member for

20 years 6 months

Thanks for that ,so if he had transferred in that time as a pilot would or could he have stayed in 242 until a pilots training course was available ,was that normal although nothing in war was normal.If he stayed as an observer i wonder if they used him to train others for another skill.
Thanks for the reply :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

My understanding is that he would have enlisted as Pilot UT in RAFVR

He may or may not have completed training to obtain his wings

It is obvious he stayed in RAF VR regardless and was called up on outbreak of WW2

If we could find his branch of service (Say General Duties) we would know if he was pilot

Member for

20 years 6 months

Thanks i will see if the person asking has any other ideas :) Hopefully he may post on here.

Member for

20 years 6 months

:) Thank you i have sent the person asking me the question a PM but no reply from them yet ,Thank you.