RIP Dr. Forrest Bird, pilot and live saving inventor.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 5 months

Dr. Forrest Bird, inventor of portable low-cost respirator, and long time pilot, passed away this weekend at his estate in Idaho at the age of 94. He's a great example of how an interest in aviation led to other advances.

His father had been a combat aviator in France in World War I, owned an open-cockpit biplane and taught his young son to fly. Inspired by the lessons and a boyhood meeting with Orville Wright, Forrest fell in love with aviation.

In 1935, he graduated at age 14 from high school in an accelerated academic program. He also soloed in his father’s biplane. By 16, he was a certified pilot. He flew helicopters for 64 years and was a helicopter instructor pilot for much of that time.
He once flew with Howard Hughes, and recalled the reclusive tycoon and aerospace engineer as “a magnificent pilot.”

Mr. Bird was an experienced pilot by the time he joined the Army Air Corps a week after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in 1941. For much of World War II, he was assigned to training and transport commands, studying aeronautics and ferrying bombers, fighters and transport planes from aircraft factories to airfields across the United States, and to operational squadrons in Europe, the Pacific and Asia.

During the war he studied high-altitude respiration problems, he said in an interview with The New York Times for this obituary in 2010. American pilots were using breathing regulators that restricted altitudes to 28,000 feet, but modifications he made to a captured German regulator were adopted by the Army. With the new jet turbine allowing for flight at higher altitudes, Bird realized pilots would need new gear to breathe without becoming hypoxic. He delved into research into respirators and anti-gravity devices and invented the anti-g pressure suit regulator, which helped pilots fly to an altitude of 40,000 feet. He said his research proved invaluable years later when he began to design medical respirators.

In 1946, Bird invented the first Positive Pressure Inhalation Device, followed by the 1950 first prototype of the Bird Respirator with advanced positive pressure.
In 1955 he released the Bird Mark 7 Respirator, a small green box that became familiar to hospital patients. Among those aided by his invention was his first wife, Mary, who learned she had pulmonary emphysema in 1964; his respirators, including one that used percussion to loosen secretions in her lungs, helped prolong her life until 1986.

My wife, a former QARANC and NHS nurse, mentioned that the "Bird" was the first piece of high tech equipment she learned to operate. During the opening of his museum, we were introduced to the doctor and told him that story. He was pleased to meet her and said the UK was one of his favorite places.

In 1967, Bird converted a Consolidated PBY Catalina amphibian aircraft and used it to travel around the world to teach young doctors how to use his low-cost medical respirator. Later, the aircraft was converted to have an additional two engines for better performance.

The Babybird respirator, introduced in 1970, was the first low-cost, mass-produced pediatric respirator, which has been credited by medical experts with reducing the mortality rates of infants with respiratory problems from 70 percent to less than 10 percent.

During the Vietnam War, Bird respirators revolutionized intensive care aboard helicopters transporting injured servicemen. A profile in Flying magazine mentioned he had a privately owned bell 212 "Twin Huey" outfitted as a prototype medical response helicopter. He still owned it at the time of his death and I believe it's is the lowest time Huey in the world. He also had a Bell 47 with turbine powerplant. The Flying article mentioned that when a forest fire broke out near his home, he helped douse it with lake water carried in a "Bambi Bucket" collapsible bucket. His New York Times obituary notes he was a helicopter instructor pilot into his 80s.

After selling his Bird Corporation to 3M, Bird moved to North Idaho and lived on a ranch with private airstrip and hangars. He started a manufacturing company Percussionaire Corporation, which continues to operate in Sagle, producing medical pulmonary devices. Bird also collected and restored old planes, cars and motorcycles.

In July 2007 he and his wife Pamela opened the Bird Aviation Museum and Invention Center, displaying his inventions and aircraft, including his father’s ‘38 Piper. The opening of the museum was a huge event fly-in of vintage airplanes with a special performance by aerobatic pilot Patty Wagstaff and attended by everyone from a "Flying Tigers" ace to astronauts and other notable flyers including airline pilot/charter firm operator/film/race pilot Clay Lacey.

We rightfully remember the aviation heroes who served our nations in combat. But aviation is at its best when its used to help people. Dr. Bird put his aviation experience to use helping people throughout the world, not a bad legacy for any pilot.

Information from The New York Times and the Spokesman Review/AP obituaries.

Original post
Profile picture for user paul1867

Member for

11 years 4 months

RIP Dr.

Thanks for posting.

Member for

20 years 7 months

R I P ,Millions have used the life saving equipment without realising the story behind it.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Saved untold thousands of lives.

That's a pretty decent epitaph in itself. Rest easy, Dr Bird, you've earned it.

Adrian

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Yet another person who has earned rest RIP Mr Bird.....:(

As an addition I couldn't help wonder what his Catalina looked like and was pleasantly surprised by this below.....:eagerness:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/07/Bird_Innovator_at_Albuquerque_1995.jpg/1280px-Bird_Innovator_at_Albuquerque_1995.jpg

Wiki page on Mr Bird's aircraft history.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_Innovator

Geoff.

Member for

19 years 5 months

The Bird PBY was well known in its day. It was in Jane's and many other books in the 60s.
Good to see it's still around.

Member for

24 years 3 months

RIP. Mr Bird.

My brother has been on a positive pressure vent since he was four years old and he is now 52 and still with us. (I reckon that he must be the UK's longest surviving vent patient by a country mile). We've seen lots of changes in the technology over the years, not used Bird equipment but I have been aware of his immense impact on the medical world regarding respiratory survivability. Most of my brothers time has been on East Radcliffe and Blease ventilators, large and cumbersome kit. Nowadays they are the size of a small suitcase!

Back to aviation. I am fascinated by the PBY with two extra engines. Different engine type and power outputs.. Interesting!

Member for

11 years 6 months

A really worthy thread - thank you for posting. What a fascinating and uplifting story of a life truly well lived in its service to others.

Member for

19 years

I guessed it would be the same Dr. Bird of Catalina fame and am pleased you could provide so much more pertinent information. R.I.P.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Most of my brothers time has been on East Radcliffe and Blease ventilators, large and cumbersome kit. Nowadays they are the size of a small suitcase!

The New York Times story said his devices made the huge "Iron Lungs" obsolete. For those of you too young to know what those are, you might look them up. Basically, a bed-size metal cylinder that a person would have to spend his life in. Imagine the quality of life improvement offered by a small, portable device.

As I mentioned in my original post, I had the opportunity to meet him a couple of times. The last time was quite by accident at the airport. A couple of years ago I was dropping off my nephew for his return flight to the UK and there was Dr. Bird, his wife, an assistant, a large lab, all checking in to a flight for Palm Springs. Even at 90+ he was a whirlwind of energy. I know it sounds rather corny, but it was a honor to meet someone who had helped to alleviate suffering and make the world a better place.

Member for

19 years

'a large lab' gave me visions of a portable room on wheels (taking his work with him!). :D

Member for

19 years 8 months

And on a warbird related note he also was one of the early owners, having bought several P-38s surplus from Kingman, AZ.

T J

Member for

17 years 3 months

The Bird PBY was well known in its day. It was in Jane's and many other books in the 60s.
Good to see it's still around.

It is still around but no longer has the two extra engines. Indeed, it has not flown since they were removed a number of years ago. It is located at Aurora, Oregon.

Member for

16 years 6 months

I caught sight of the Bird Innovator back in 1997 during a layover at the Albuquerque International Airport, New Mexico. No mistaking a four-engine PBY!

Glad to see that it's still around. It probably had more of a future than the forlorn Pam Am 727s parked nearby.

Member for

18 years 5 months

A fine example of aviation spreading good health worldwide. Here is another https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbis_International
There are those who berate aspects of aviation for bringing destruction, it is good to be remindied of the positive aspects.