Derelict Fairey Gannet

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

9 years 4 months

Saw this on the BBC News App in Pictures Theme Derlict.[ATTACH=CONFIG]239450[/ATTACH]

Attachments
Original post

Member for

19 years

This would be XA 459. One of the previous private owners was killed before being able to renovate the plane. I believe it now belongs to the owner of White Waltham airfield (who is?).

Member for

9 years 4 months

Thanks for the info Newforest :-)

Member for

9 years 7 months

I thought this might be about the Errol machine. Gannets have a hard time here!

Member for

16 years 6 months

Indeed they do. But I've always thought the unique wing fold would make an excellent spectacle at museums - if the hydraulics could be rigged up to an auxiliary power supply!

Rob

Member for

9 years 7 months

They could sync it to Straus waltzes.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Strange: been to WW a number of times but never seen it. WW was a Fairey airfield too I recall?

Member for

19 years

Not surprising if you look at the photos, Google Earth is your friend! :D

Member for

17 years 10 months

arrived White Waltham 5-11-06

Member for

14 years 1 month

Not surprising if you look at the photos, Google Earth is your friend! :D

Found it - I wouldn't have known otherwise though!

Member for

9 years 7 months

Out of sight and out of mind in (or around) 51.494083, -0.772412 according to Google.

Member for

14 years 10 months

I remember seeing this gannet when I was a boy on the Cirencester ring road in someone's garden...I hope one day someone finds the funding it deserves to look after her

Member for

16 years

I remember seeing this gannet when I was a boy on the Cirencester ring road in someone's garden...I hope one day someone finds the funding it deserves to look after her

Ditto. Always remember seeing it poking over the wall at the top going round the ring-road towards the transport cafe.

Member for

15 years 1 month

So that's what happened to it, often wondered where it went. Thanks for clearing that up.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Definitely deserves preservation. There seem to be more of the ASW variant still around than there are of these. The ASW variant was another of the aviation world's ugly ducklings.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Talking of Gannets, do Chatham Naval Dockyard still have one on display ?
Havent been there for a few years.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Definitely deserves preservation. There seem to be more of the ASW variant still around than there are of these. The ASW variant was another of the aviation world's ugly ducklings.

I think you mean the AEW version Mike, with the radar housed under the nose?! The one under discussion here is an AS version.

Talking of Gannets, do Chatham Naval Dockyard still have one on display ?
Havent been there for a few years.

The Chatham example, AEW.3 XL500, moved to St Athan several years ago and is happily under restoration to fly :)

Rob

Member for

11 years 11 months

With regard to the Gannet's time in Cirencester. I was always impressed by the view from the ring road and that one could have an aircraft, a fire engine and a bus, but what you actually did with those things once you had them was less clear.

Member for

10 years 8 months

I think you mean the AEW version Mike, with the radar housed under the nose?! The one under discussion here is an AS version.

...converted to an ECM6.;O)