Oldest flying airliner?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

9 years 3 months

Anybody know what the oldest surviving airworthy airliner could be?

Original post

Member for

14 years 1 month

Still flying as an airliner ?

Member for

18 years 3 months

DC-3?

Member for

19 years 5 months

A friend has a Ex-Pacific Air Transport 4-passenger 1928 Boeing 40C which is airworthy.
Of course it's not used commercially, but it operates under a standard certificate, not an "Experimental" license.
By the way, the Boeing 40 was issued Approved Type Certificate 2 in the U.S.

Attachments

Member for

9 years 7 months

Is the Grand Canyon Airlines 1929 Ford Trimotor still in service?

Member for

15 years 3 months

If we are talking oldest in regular scheduled passenger then it has to be a Dakota. I think Buffalo still operate Hay River to Yellowknife with a Dak. There was/is a New Zealand company also operating daks? As for turbo props are there are pax F-27's still flying? Indonesia is probably the best bet? As for jets I think its a Kenyan DC-9, the 4th one built, 5Y-XXB

Member for

17 years 6 months

Lufties JU 52?

Member for

11 years 4 months

A friend has a Ex-Pacific Air Transport 4-passenger 1928 Boeing 40 which is airworthy.

Wow! What a stunning photograph. Absolutely beautiful aircraft.

Member for

11 years 3 months

Air Chathams now run the Auckland Whakatane route with a Convair but on summer Saturdays they plan to run DC-3 ZK-AWP. Air Chathams of course run Convairs from New Zealand to the Chats, the longest domestic route in New Zealand, well over 500 miles.

Member for

12 years 11 months

We are operating a Fox Moth and a Dragon on Part 135 charter ops, ift hat's of any interest, nowhere near as old as Tante Ju or the Boeing 40 etc. etc.

Member for

19 years 7 months

The Dragon and Fox Moth you operate are superb. Thank you Stan for kindly hosting me for the day and showing me your wonderful collection earlier this year.

Tim

Member for

14 years 1 month

What is the definition of an Airliner ?
Is it an aircraft carrying fare paying passengers, or does it go by size,
or other parameters ?

Member for

9 years 5 months

Mr Stan Smith I would like to second the previous comments about your superb DH Dragon, I got to fly with you in her back in 2006. An amazing experience and a highlight of my aviation experiences. Many thanks for all your efforts in maintaining such wonderful aircraft, long may it continue. By far the earliest airliner I have been in.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Douglas DC-2 "PH-AJU" c/n 1404 is slightly older (1935) than Lufthansa's JU-52 (1936).

Member for

11 years 6 months

But it looks as though it's J Boyle's friend's beautiful Boeing 40C, assuming we are not taking about airliners in passenger service. That is a very handsome machine!;)

Member for

24 years 3 months

The Boeing is just stunning, I was fortunate enough to shoot it air-to-air soon after the restoration was completed. The owner is a very fine chap too, and has been known to pop in to Old Warden on occasion - I ran into him there last summer at an event when he brought a Hornet Moth in.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Wow! What a stunning photograph. Absolutely beautiful aircraft.

I bet the pilot is not very warm though.

Member for

19 years 5 months

I thought the Boeing might have some competition from a flying Ford Tri-Motor for the title "oldest flying airliner". Mr. Pemberton's 40C N5339 was delivered to PAT on May 17, 1928.
However, the oldest surviving airworthy Ford Tri-Motor is actually about 7 months older: N1077, a 4-AT-B, was first registered 10 September 1927. It's currently owned By: Greg Herrick's Yellowstone Aviation. It is based at the Golden Wings Museum, near Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Anyone know how often they actually fly it?
Addison flies the Boeing at least weekly in the summer going to events or just giving rides locally. It spends the winters at the Western Antique Auto and Airplane Museum in Oregon.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Greg flies one of his pair of airworthy Trimotors, it often appears at Oshkosh. The other was recently fully restored and strengthened with the intention of having John Mohr fly it in airshows to recreate Harold Johnson's aerobatic routine. I understand that the liability insurers killed that plan, and John has since announced his retirement from flying airshows, so Greg has put that particular Trimotor up for sale.

Member for

20 years 1 month

I imagine people will struggle to beat current Avro 504L project G-EASD - when she returns to flight - built 1920....

Member for

24 years 3 months

Not exactly an airliner though. Were they ever used on scheduled passenger-carrying services?