Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North Weald DC4 being dismantled????

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North Weald DC4 being dismantled????

I notice in the North Weald diary thread that one of the DC4s is being dismantled!!! So what is happening too it? Is she going to a new home or being scrapped? Would be a shame to loose another classic!!!

Are there not two DC4s there?

Comment

" I notice in the North Weald diary thread that one of the DC4s is being dismantled!!!"

Yes indeed 2 ,for a film that never took off.

Comment

Boom boom! I first heard about this pair on the forum 28 Days Later, where some Urbexer managed to sneak onto, and take shots of, one of the DC4s.

Comment

I saw them today and it looks like work has started scrapping the worst of the two. I hope the cockpits can at least be saved if they are up for the chop.

Comment

Originally posted by Meddle View Post
            ... some Urbexer managed to sneak onto...
            You mean criminal trespasser?

Over on the airshow thread, they're called freeloaders for being on "naughty" ground.
            There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Sicobra View Post
              I notice in the North Weald diary thread that one of the DC4s is being dismantled!!! So what is happening too it? Is she going to a new home or being scrapped? Would be a shame to loose another classic!!!
              I asked this question a few times and got no reply: I suspect the 'dismantled' bit is BS in that case. And what does, 'dismantled.... for a film that never took off' even mean? - this makes no sense at all.

Sad to see if they are being 'scrapped'. Must be a home for at least one somewhere in the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by J Boyle View Post
                You mean criminal trespasser?

Over on the airshow thread, they're called freeloaders for being on "naughty" ground.
                Potato po-tah-to.

I agree with this one. Sneaking onto an active airfield to gain entry (forced?) to an aircraft you have no right being on-board, purely so you can post photographs online for Internet bragging rights? Whole different ballgame from the naughty field.

Comment

Originally posted by Meddle View Post
                  Potato po-tah-to.

I agree with this one. Sneaking onto an active airfield to gain entry (forced?) to an aircraft you have no right being on-board, purely so you can post photographs online for Internet bragging rights? Whole different ballgame from the naughty field.
                  Yep. Disgraceful. But we've all done it eh?

Comment

Sabrejet I think Scotavia was actually replying to post no2 which asked if there were actually two DC-4s at North Weald.
                    The situation is that both DC-4s arrived there over 10 years ago now having been acquired for use in a planned film about the Berlin Airlift. The film never came to fruition and the DC-4s have gradually mouldered away and from memory I believe they have been offered for sale at various times with no takers. There should be another thread on the forum about them which included some photos. At one point there was a plan to keep one of them in live condition but I assume this has fallen through. Restoration to fly would be extremely unlikely after the amount of time both have spent in the open at North Weald. Like most airliners no one in the UK seems to want to take either of them on partly because of their size and the expense of moving them and having spent so long in the open even a static restoration would probably require major work. It is true that the DC-4/C-54 has a military history but doesn't seem to be regarded as a significant aeroplane on this side of the Atlantic. It is a real shame that one has/is being broken up but having seen them several times since they arrived it has been pretty obvious for ages now that they were living on borrowed time.
                    Hope this clarifies the situation for you and if I have got any of this completely wrong I apologise and will happily look at any posts which provide more reliable/up to date information.
                    www.autoavia.co.uk

Comment

One is being scrapped for sure, it's already had the side of the fuselage cut out and firewalls forward have been stripped. I understand that the owner for the last few years is a scrap man hence his interest in cutting it up.

They are not in good condition internally.

FB

Comment

shame a cockpit couldnt go to the cold war collection at cosford and the AAM at Duxford.
                        pb::

Comment

I am sure if either organisation got its cheque book out they could ! It would however be nice to think there could have been room for one complete machine in a U.K museum

Comment

Are any of the parts being offered for sale? Anyone have contact details for the scrappy?

Anon.

Comment

Originally posted by SADSACK View Post
                              shame a cockpit couldnt go to the cold war collection at cosford and the AAM at Duxford.
                              That's a very good point. A walk in cockpit of one would go very well in the AAM. Looks like a missed opportunity!

Rob
                              Facebook page
                              https://www.facebook.com/Westland.Wy...tif_t=page_fan

Comment

North weald have tweeted that the DC-4 cockpit left the airfield today, presumably the rest has been scrapped?

Comment

Where is our 'resident' forum member for information? Shouldn't all our important airfields have a resident reporter?
                                  http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 11.83 times!

Comment

You mean Yakrider? Well nice though it would be they all contribute voluntarily and we do not know his personal circumstances so perhaps he is unable to post at the moment. I haven't been aware of anything new on that thread for a while.
                                    Charlie

Keep smiling - it's never as bad as you think!!

Comment

I understand that the nose section will be sold on to whoever pays the right price for it...
                                      " Radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

Flickr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/8674planes

Comment

The right price? I wonder what that could be, keep looking at eBay
                                        SMOKE SMOKE GO!
                                        TA out

Comment

Working...
                                        X