The Dam Busters Movie

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 1 month

Take a look at this thread for some really interesting photos and ephemera from the 1954 Dam Busters film, from here in NZ.

http://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/23144/dam-busters-movie

Original post

Member for

14 years 1 month

Marvellous pictures !

Member for

9 years 3 months

Nice material. If the new film ever gets off the ground then all this material would be fascinating to compare.

Member for

11 years 3 months

Great set of pics in particular the legendary actors Richard Todd and Michael Redgrave. Just Brilliant. Really made the Dambusters an epic movie I still watch it regularly. I would think it would be hard to replace these two in a remake these days.

Member for

9 years 3 months

Great set of pics in particular the legendary actors Richard Todd and Michael Redgrave. Just Brilliant. Really made the Dambusters an epic movie I still watch it regularly. I would think it would be hard to replace these two in a remake these days.

You wouldn't be replacing them. Richard Todd once played Robin Hood. He wasn't replacing Errol Flynn and Kevin Costner wasn't replacing Richard Todd. It's just a different interpretation.

If the filmmakers themselves used the term remake Id be surprised. If they have it just opens endless questions. Really it is just another interpretation. Bond is played by lots of actors. So us Jesus and Robin Hood. It's not inconceivable that someone could better Redgrave and Todd. Great performances but there are good actors who are there equals today.

Member for

20 years 1 month

James Mills did an exceptional job as Barnes Wallis in the original dramatisation of The Dambusters.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I get the impression that the Kiwis were really proud of their effort towards winning WW2.

Many years late, but thank you for coming halfway round the world, gentlemen.

Adrian

Member for

11 years 6 months

Terrific pictures of a damn good film! The pros and cons of a new film have been worked through in other threads but I wonder if a new film with all the production value required would actually earn its negative costs back let alone make any profit. Unless it was shamelessly "Holywoodised" would it bring in the audiences?

We shall see.......

Member for

9 years 6 months

Nice photos. The film still presents very well. It's very much in-period. The new film will struggle in this respect.

Member for

9 years 3 months

In period? Yes and no. If you watch enough black and white war films then it begins to seem as if wartime was like that but it's only a very narrow idea of what I would imagine (and I stress imagine ) life was like. The film has very little reference to anything beyond the stiff upper lip version of aircrew we are used to. A real honest portrayal that is truly 'period' would have crews wetting the back wheel, representations of other classes and a bit more realism and grit to it. It's a stylised version of 1943.

Profile picture for user paul1867

Member for

11 years 4 months

The pros and cons of a new film have been worked through in other threads but

What ever you do don't mention the ...............

Member for

9 years 3 months

What ever you do don't mention the ...............

But you have haven't you.
Profile picture for user paul1867

Member for

11 years 4 months

I get the impression that the Kiwis were really proud of their effort towards winning WW2.

And so they should especially after how the Anzacs were used in the first.
As you say thank you all for helping.

Member for

21 years

In period? Yes and no. If you watch enough black and white war films then it begins to seem as if wartime was like that but it's only a very narrow idea of what I would imagine (and I stress imagine ) life was like. The film has very little reference to anything beyond the stiff upper lip version of aircrew we are used to. A real honest portrayal that is truly 'period' would have crews wetting the back wheel, representations of other classes and a bit more realism and grit to it. It's a stylised version of 1943.

But you simply can't replace the 'experience' of people that lived through for real in whatever way. No modern actor, no matter how good, will still act as they are now, not someone from 1943, as they simply can't replicate that, it will only ever be a director/actors interpretation of how people behaved. A new film would be equally stylised version of 1943, just in a different way (I've done enough Living History/Re-enactment/Film & TV work over the years to have an idea of this)
Yes, the special effects would be better, but that's about it.