More on Amelia and Fred

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 5 months

The Japanese have long said they don't have any records of her being held either on Mili Atoll or PNG (sites of two competing theories with the same outcome, AE and Fred being captured by the Japanese).

I don't have a favorite theory, but allow me to point out Japanese relations with the US weren't that bad in mid-1937 (i.e. several months before the Nanjing Massacre and the sinking of the USS Panay) but there were tensions. Relations were not terrible at the time and not as bad as they would be in a couple of years (but keep in mind US-Japanese relations were still pretty civil throughout most of 1941).

If the Japanese did find/rescue a famous flier, wouldn't it have ben in their best interests to give her back to the US and score some needed PR points?

If they did hold and eventually execute her, I'm not sure they'd still lie about it. After all, the Japanese government has admitted to much worse war crimes (though some say parts of their government and population don't seem too ashamed by them), so why not come clean now?

And as far as some political conspiracy....AE was a huge celebrity, friends with FDR and said to be the girlfriend of Gene Vidal, an administration official. If the Americans found out what happened to her during or just after the war, why would the White House hide what happened to her? After all, we were (or had recently) bombing them, I don't think anyone was worried about hurting their feelings.

Member for

18 years 11 months

From the DM article PanzerJohn has linked:

"Earhart investigator Les Kinney and other enthusiasts believe the Electra was dumped into a large pit in Saipan, along with Japanese aircraft, by US marines at the end of the war.

That pit is said to be under a runway that is still in use and one investigator is trying to get permission to dig and extract aircraft parts."

Oh no, here we go again.... another pit that may or may not contain the object of interest, and that may, or may not, have been covered/buried by later development/building work at the airport in question..... err, is it me, or does it all sounds a bit too familiar...

....maybe Earhart and Noonan stumbled on one or more well-known product of Supermarine close to their forced-landing site in the Pacific, and then managed to squeeze into one and fly it to Burma, where it was later buried.... quick get TIGHAR and Mr C onto it, if they pool resources and work together they might find something ...

Member for

11 years 6 months

No, no, no Paul - don't go there PLEASE!!

Profile picture for user Southern Air99

Member for

8 years 11 months

TIGHAR will come at you and attack you with their jars of Freckle cream and pieces of metal, oh and legal letters!
As for the Spitfire, maybe they pioneered one of the first Two seat spits, which was then flown to Burma where it was buried, dug up by the Japanese and hidden along with Noonan and Earhart, in some remote corner of Japan somewhere!