Campkins Cameras - Barry Howell

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years

It is with great sadness that I post the news that Barry Howell, of “Campkins Cameras” passed away on Monday, following a long illness. Barry will be known to many of the older forumites as the source of their film, spare lenses, cameras, batteries, suncream and general camera paraphernalia at venues such as Biggin Hill, Mildenhall, Duxford, North Weald, West Malling, Waddington, Greenham Common, Fairford, Farnborough and I even met up with him at Culdrose one year! His yellow caravan was always there and he would be on hand to offer advice and help where needed. I knew Barry since Biggin Hill in 1978 and over the years I bought thousands of rolls of film from him and a succession of ever more complex cameras, my last being in December last year. He always gave a personal touch and knew what his customers needed because he took the trouble to talk with them and get to know how they pursued their photography hobby and the subjects that they shot. On top of his friendliness, he was a generous man. I always got a good deal from him and when my camera packed up at a Biggin Hill show, he just lent me another one until I could get mine fixed. He always gave a warm welcome when I saw him in the Campkins shop in Cambridge and would be keen to find out what shots I had had published recently – with a camera he had sold me of course!
I offer my sincere thoughts to his family.

Original post

Member for

18 years 10 months

Often purchased films from the yellow Campkins van at airshows - their stall was one of the regular "fixtures" just behind the crowd line at numerous airshows.

On one occasion they even kindly retrieved the "tail" of an unused 35mm film that I had accidentally wound back into the cassette when trying to load the new film whilst simultaneously watching the flying. They didn't even ask/expect anything as a form of "payment" for their services, suffice to say I did buy a brace of films anyway as that sort of service (It was clearly a "Boots" branded film I'd screwed up IIRC) deserved it.

Faced with a similarly foolish punter today I suspect many stall holders would simply shrug their shoulders and say "Nope, sorry mate, can't help, but I can sell you a replacement film....".

Sorry to hear the news, RIP Barry, and thanks.

Paul F

Member for

17 years 10 months

My father often bought film from Campkins at Biggin as he always took so many photos.
Sad news, RIP sir.

Member for

14 years

Sad news. I seem to remember buying Kodachrome film from him, in the distant past.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Very sad news indeed. In the 80's I bought many just out of date slide films from Barry at bargain prices, back then I had to make 150 shots last the whole day!

A stalwart of the airshow scene, sadly there are very few stall holders left from those days now.

Member for

16 years 7 months

Agreed, sad news. As Roobarb said, he was a generous man and always willing to help you with advice if you were unlucky enough to have a problem with your camera equipment on an airshow day.
Ed

Member for

24 years 2 months

Very sad to hear that - although I never met him at an airshow, Campkins has always been a must-stop when I've been to Cambridge.

Adrian

Member for

19 years

Campkins will however continue trading and Barry's son Owen and daughter Amanda are closely involved in maintaining the family business.

Member for

11 years 5 months

Very sad. As friendly and helpful in the shop as at the shows and had as much time for the enthusiastic amateur on a very tight budget (like me) as for the semi-pro with serious money to spend.