Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Young, Aviation Artist

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Propstrike
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Mar 2004

John Young, Aviation Artist

Sad to report, John Young passed away on June 10th , in his mid eighties.

He was best known as an aviation artist, though his paintings included landscapes, particularly the Chiltern Hills, where he spent his whole life.

John was a teenager in the war, and spend countless days hanging on the fence at Bovingdon, 3 miles up the road from Chesham. His notebooks, and sketches are an invaluable record of movements from that era. His anecdotes were endless, and recalled with real enthusiasm. He amused me with tales of the airmen at Bovingdon using their L.4 Cubs as flying jeeps, and landing in the park above Chesham, to then stroll down and do their shopping!

I was honoured to take John flying in my Cub, and we flew over Chesham, and down the runway at Bovingdon at 50 feet!

John was widowed in 2013, and though he was hugely supported by his church in Ashley Green, life became quite a challenge. I was planning to have lunch with him, and enjoy more wartime anecdotes and tales. Too late, sadly. Click image for larger version

Name:	download (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	3729008Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	3729009
  • Scramble Bill
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Sep 2003

Wow, that's a shock.............one of my favourite Aviation Artists..........I have that book..........................Condolences to family, friends................Truly an Artist.

Comment

• Lazy8
      Adrian Constable
      • Apr 2012

I can only echo what Scramble Bill said. One knows that people who've grown old enough to be thought of as a treasure cannot last for ever, but their actual passing is shocking nonetheless.

Comment

• slicer
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jul 2003

Sad news. He gave a very enjoyable talk at a camera club meeting I attended in the Chilterns some years ago, he was a very successful commercial artist if I recall. His aviation art is just beautiful. A great loss.

Comment

• EuropeView
          Rank 4 Registered User
          • Sep 2017

John Young was a brilliant artist and whilst I lived in Beaconsfield Buckinghamshire I purchased my first John Young oil on canvas of the B17 General Ike based at RAF Bassingbourn Cambridge. As a result I commissioned a further two paintings from him. The first was of Halifax EY-O being bombed up at RAF Breighton Yorks on 22 February 1944 and flown by my father M/Nav Arthur Collins on a raid to the MAN works in Augsburg and was shot down on it's return. The last is an oil of canvas painting of Roger Byron-Collins' Macedonian Aviation Dakota DC-3 G-AMPO departing Beirut Lebanon en route to Nicosia in September 1972 after rescuing 30 passengers as the airport was being bombed by Israeli airport in retaliation of the murder of the Munich Olympics

Comment

• 1batfastard
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Jan 2013

Hi All,
            Wow! This certainly has come out of the blue a very underrated artist in IMPO. He produced some classic pieces of aviation artwork I have a couple and one I always wanted is the image below titled Low Flying Mosquito and one of his best IMPO.

Click image for larger version  Name:	low-flying-mosquito_u-l-f5w7130.jpg?h=550&w=550.jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.3 KB ID:	3855472
            RIP Mr Young thank you for your excellent work.

Geoff.
            Last edited by 1batfastard; 11th March 2019, 18:24.

Comment

• Beermat
              1 Registered Rank Loser
              • Oct 2009

John Young could make you smell and hear the aeroplanes he painted. R.I.P.
              www.whirlwindfighterproject.org
              It's all good. Probably.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
              X