Looking for radio call sign crashed mosquito.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 1 month

Hi,

20th of October 1943 a Mosquito from 25th sqn crashed near Sneek inthe Netherlands. The serial number was DZ689. Squadron Leader (Pilot) Kenneth Mathews got killed, his observer survived. Does anyone know the radio call sign for this particulair mosquito?

Regards,

Mathieu.

Original post

Member for

14 years 5 months

There's a thread on this somewhere, though I can't find it. To recap, radio call signs and individual aircraft letters are not the same. Are you sure you mean radio call sign, and not aircraft letter (not necessarily directly related). Both might be gleaned from the ORB, though - a certain amount of deductive reasoning is necessary sometimes. Do a search here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/raf-operations-record-books.htm
- a lot are visible online.

Member for

15 years 3 months

I have read hundreds of pages of ORB's at Kew and have never seen reference to radio call signs in the ORB. Individual aircraft are identified by a code letter and mostly a serial too. Im sure there were callsigns, at that range comms would have been by morse code.
rob

Member for

14 years 5 months

Generally an ORB will refer to aircraft by serial. Sometimes they will mention a code letter depending on the practice of the squadron. They will not mention call signs. However, certainly on Fighter squadrons Flights and Sections get referred to in summaries of events. Apologies - This probably does not apply to 25's operations in 1943. On reflection possibly not. As you will know, what became to be known as a call sign was often made up of section and number - on day fighters. Perhaps call signs were individual, I don't know. It was only a thought.

It may be the OP was after the code letter anyway.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I asked this for a friend who is going to build a model from this Mosquite. He need the code letter which said is the radio call sign. So he like to know the code letter from this Mosquite.

Best regards,

Mathieu.