Mystery wheel and tyre

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 8 months

Afternoon all,
A friend has just shown me a wheel and tyre assembly. It has started an interesting conversation as to possible fitment. My thoughts, for what it's worth, is perhaps Canadian Mossie, but we don't know. However, I am sure someone on here will be able to tell us.

The wheel is marked as follows:

ASSY 10191

SERIAL KD-4280-M

KELSEY CANADA

The tyre is a twin-contact type, but doesn't seem to have a manufacturers name. There are various marks as follows:

8.00-5

V in a circle

W.I.-R30

RAYON

ELECTRICALLY CONDUCTING

Looking forward to the answer.
Camlobe

Original post

Member for

18 years 7 months

Well the assy no. looks like the AH number on this old ebay listed Mosquito wheel? Perhaps the photos will help identify it better?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-WW2-RAF-MOSQUITO-AIRCRAFT-TAIL-WHEEL-CORRECT-No-AH10191-FIGHTER-BOMBER-/311334320043?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item487cf8b7ab&nma=true&si=dykSQ52toG3NzxyM33NxfErw5g8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Also Spitfire Spares have a listing showing more shots? Scroll down for the Mosquito one:

http://spitfirespares.co.uk/undercarridge.html

Well that's my 'rigger' input anyway

Member for

11 years 9 months

I concur (always wanted to say that !)
AH is on Mosquito AP, Mastrand tyre size matches and Kelsey of Canada is a known supplier of Mosquito tail & mainwheel castings.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Mossie tailwheel tyre (anti-shimmy type) very similar to Vampire nosewheel, though I also "concur" with it being Mossie.

Anon.

Member for

17 years 6 months

I once had a sixer concur... :p

Member for

18 years 8 months

Many thanks for your replies and concurrences. The owner is now a happy man.

Then he showed me his Lanc tail wheel assembly complete with almost pristine tyre. And then his B 17 (as in Bristol) turret firing control, etc, etc.

Camlobe

Member for

14 years 4 months

Ther was B.17 turret control on eBay not so long ago, and we have a turret cupola to fit it. Thing is, to put it back on WR963 we'd lose the galley and I think that would cause a small riot..

Member for

18 years 7 months

Lose the galley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never lol :eek: