Spitfire trailing a little white smoke this evening, 3rd June-Berkshire

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

I saw an early Mk Spitfire this evening heading SW across Berkshire, roughly Reading to Southampton, all sounded OK, but I could see a little white smoke coming from the starboard side only, not a long trail, just about an extra fuselage length. A cause for concern ?

Original post

Member for

9 years 5 months

I'm no expert in such matters, but as the radiator is beneath the starboard wing, possibly a glycol leak? May well be a cause for concern, but hopefully the pilot was aware of a problem & keeping an eye on T's & P's. I hope that all was well at the end of the flight.
Regards, Rich

Member for

24 years 2 months

One side only will be the coolant pressure valve blowing off. Common fault. Nothing to worry about.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Interesting, I saw a Spitfire low over my house near RAF Henlow heading W at about 19:00, suspect one and the same aircraft. Nothing trailing at that point.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Not BBMF Spit as it didn't take off until 19:30ish last night and landed just before 21:00. Was over Shrivenham and High Wycombe. Also was clipped wing Mk XV1 TE311.

Member for

20 years

The Spitfire over Henlow would have been MH434 on the way to display at Cowes at 1940 flown by Stu Golds pink.

Member for

18 years 10 months

The Spitfire over Henlow would have been MH434 on the way to display at Cowes at 1940 flown by Stu Golds pink.

Thanks ozplane, it looked like MH434 (although I was directly underneath so couldn't fully confirm) and was on the usual (from) Duxford heading and height that we see.