Hampden P1212 info sought.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 10 months

Having read last months flypast and finding out that there was a crash behind my house during the war I was somewhat shocked to say the least so I asked around in the village and nobody had heard of it which is a crying shame as there is a lot enthusiasts like me in our hamlet. Forward a couple of weeks and I attended the Parish Council meeting and brought the subject up and following a couple of meetings we (myself and next door) have found the crash site, the grave of one of the helpers (passed away post war) plus have permission to erect a memorial and wondered if anybody can help with the following information.

What was the history of Hampden P1212 prior to the crash ( build dates etc )

Contact info of the flypast team regards asking for a copy of the picture used in the magazine.

peoples opinions on what would be the correct memorial to build.

Thanks in advance for any help and always amazing what you read!

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hi Jon

One of 200 HP Hampdens built by Handley Page at Cricklewood and delivered between June 1939 and Feb 1940. According to Harry Moyle's Hampden File it served only with 408 Sqn and was coded 'EQ-T'.

Cheers
Elliot

Member for

11 years 11 months

P1212 was damaged by flak in the starboard wing on 13 October 1941. Clearly this was repaired. It crashed at Haltham on 21 October 1941, thought to have been caused by an engine failure.

Member for

15 years 11 months

Come to East Kirkby and have a look at the Hampden we are building and have a talk with us and the Lincolnshire Aircraft Recovery Group who have experience of erecting memorials. I will be there on Saturday afternoon and will be more than willing to talk to you.

John Marshall-East

Member for

12 years 10 months

Thank you very much for the replies and I will make a trip to EK soon John as its on my list but I'm busy this weekend with silage. I will PM you when I can escape and try and meet up for a gossip.

Regards

Jon