Maryland survivor

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 11 months

According to the latest issue of Aeroplane Monthly, which has pictures of the Martin Maryland survivor, it seems that the RAFM has so far declined to become involved in any recovery attempt. Presumably their lack of interest is predicated by the current outcome of the other attempted recovery to Britain of another Desert Air Force survivor.

Shame they spent so much money on the Do17 collander - perhaps they could get wargaming.net to sponsor the Maryland recovery as well

Original post

Member for

20 years

According to the latest issue of Aeroplane Monthly, which has pictures of the Martin Maryland survivor, it seems that the RAFM has so far declined to become involved in any recovery attempt. Presumably their lack of interest is predicated by the current outcome of the other attempted recovery to Britain of another Desert Air Force survivor.

Shame they spent so much money on the Do17 collander - perhaps they could get wargaming.net to sponsor the Maryland recovery as well

For such a short post , you have fitted in a lot of presumption and disdain:rolleyes:

Member for

19 years 3 months

I believe the article states that it's a little too hot (politically) in that area. A bit like this forum...

Member for

18 years 11 months

Discussion off to a good start then..........................

Member for

24 years 2 months

It also mentions that it would be a difficult job to reconstruct the missing outer wings and tail section. It looks much more complete than I had expected from initial descriptions. I do hope someone can salvage it in due course.

Member for

17 years 5 months

seems that the RAFM has so far declined to become involved in any recovery attempt

Probably because they only have one shipping container and that is presently full and missing :p

Member for

14 years 6 months

Seems like it is too difficult these days to get an interesting and useful topic upon historic aircraft. Pity really.

Come on, a Maryland!that should not be too difficult to get an interesting string of information without the B... And S..... words included?
Anyone?

Member for

19 years 11 months

my point is that individual aircraft recoveries should not necessarliy be viewed in isolation as outcomes may have a bearing on future recoveries. It seems to me that had the other desert recovery have been bought to the intended conclusion, then the museum may have been more open to an attempt to recover the Maryland - as a memorial to the men and exploits of the Desert Air Force in general and to Adrian Warburton in particular - which by association also commemorates all the RAF pilots who were based in Malta.

Whilstever the other recovery remains in limbo, I can't imagine that the Museum's trustees would even countenance another desrt recovery/

Given that Spitfires and Stirlings (or substantial parts thereof) can be built from scratch, I would have thought that the recreation of the missing parts was not beyond the wit of man. Incidentally in the pictures there appear to be buildings - or are they the tents of the Italian team?

And yes - I would have preferred if the resources used to recover the airframe from the Goodwin Sands had been used by a museum with RAF in it's title to recover a previously extinct aircraft type used by the RAF in the early/mid-war period. No disdain in that.

Member for

11 years 1 month

You have to remember that Adrian Warburton doesn't fit in to the establishment's politically "correct " mould of an RAF "hero".
(O.K. , Yes, My father knew him in Malta)

Member for

15 years 1 month

Instead of these oh-so-smart wisecracks, does anyone have any hard information about this? Photos? Location? Condition?

Sounds like a significant discovery that should be treated as such.

Member for

24 years 2 months

It's in the news pages of the latest Aeroplane Monthly markb, no precise location given but there are a couple of pictures.

Member for

15 years 1 month

Thanks Ant, shame the overlords at Key Publishing couldn't drop the pic in to the mix here. Doubt it would cause sales of Aeroplane Monthly to dry up!

Member for

19 years 9 months

It's in the news pages of the latest Aeroplane Monthly markb, no precise location given but there are a couple of pictures.

A broad hint at location even?

Member for

9 years 6 months

To those of us who are nowhere near a branch of WH Smith during the day, can anybody shed any specifics? I'm trusting the Maryland is considered an extinct species but some wreckage turned up somewhere and has become a hot potato?

Member for

17 years 5 months

Well they would be stupid to post its location until secured, it does make one wonder though, the last known survivor of a type we used, yet they recover a Dornier which we didn't. Though that is not to besmirch the fine efforts in raising and preserving that.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Jeepman- Until you know the facts (which you won't), perhaps put a lid on the 'it seems' and your freely flowing 'assumptions'

Member for

17 years 1 month

Some years ago I was trawling the Net , I think I was looking for information or pictures of DHC Chipmonks and I am sure I came up with a picture of one somewhere in North Africa and there on the edge of the same apron was the hulk of a Maryland in much the same condition as this one is described as being in .

Member for

24 years 2 months

Some years ago I was trawling the Net , I think I was looking for information or pictures of DHC Chipmonks and I am sure I came up with a picture of one somewhere in North Africa and there on the edge of the same apron was the hulk of a Maryland in much the same condition as this one is described as being in .

I can't speak Russion but a bit of googling came up with this Russian Scale model site which has two photos of a Maryland wreck. I've read elsewhere that this wreck has been known about for some time.

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_778879_1353959634_283.jpg.html
http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_778879_1353959666_raf1.jpg.html

Member for

24 years 2 months

There are rumoured to be a number of fairly substantial Maryland wrecks lying in the depths of the Libyan desert. Given the situation in Libya, I'm not surprised that there is no appetite to go looking for them at the moment.

I don't see any correlation between any potential recovery of this wreck and the Do17. The latter was thought to be much better than it turned out to be, and was worth the risk given its rarity. Hindsight is rarely very much use.

Member for

9 years 6 months

I do wonder if people would be concerned that resources were wasted dragging the Maryland out of the depths of the African desert instead of raising the Do17. Damned if you do...

I found Aeroplane Monthly today and saw the pictures. It looks surprisingly substantial and not what I was anticipating. It does make you wonder if there are more. A techy person could write a programme that combs through satellite imagery feeds and detects differences in adjacent pixels that follow certain trends, and could get this programme to return pixels that conform with the outline of a Maryland. I doubt it would work especially well, but it is an idea I've had more than once before for other missing aircraft.

The one in the magazine could well be this one;

http://scalemodels.ru/images/2012/11/1353959666_raf1.jpg

Member for

11 years 2 months

The one in the magazine has a very unusual fairing over the upper gun turret position, would that have been added to what is aleady a wreck?