Flying Legends Shuttle Bus

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 4 months

A bit of advice needed:

OK - in many previous years I have used the shuttle bus from Cambridge Railway Station straight to Duxford for "Flying Legends" - always lots of punters queueing up. LAST year, I turned up at the usual place and time (8 am), only to find NO bus, and NO queue. Ended up having to share a taxi with a Dutch gentleman, who was also looking for the bus (the local plod having no clue).

Can anyone offer any idea as to a). Was there a change of arrangements last year, which I missed? and b). Will the shuttle bus run this year?

Many thanks.

Original post

Member for

14 years 5 months

You are aware that the place that buses from the station leave from has moved around the corner and down the road some distance, since the redevelopment of the area? You might have been waiting in the wrong place last year. If in doubt, go to the Crown Plaza hotel ( a short walk), which is another stop the shuttle bus makes.

Matt
(Cambridge resident)

Member for

12 years 3 months

Good to know. ;)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Just a note, there is no Crowne Plaza and and hasn't been for some years now. It is now called the Cambridge City Hotel

Mike
(Observant Cambridge resident)

Member for

20 years 7 months

God help you at the moment if you want to get anywhere near Cambridge station by road and/or park It may be finished by July but probably not.

Member for

14 years 5 months

Parking tip. Office car park next to the 'flying pig' pub. If you put it in one of the KPMG visitor parking bays before you reach the 'private' signs then you're ok all day! There's only nine bays, but they are rarely all used on a Saturday (and as far as I know not at all by visitors to KPMG). Point taken on the new, imaginative name for the hotel. But ask any local (if you can find one in July) for the Crowne Plaza and they'll point you there!

Member for

18 years 4 months

You are aware that the place that buses from the station leave from has moved around the corner and down the road some distance

I was NOT! :) Is that the road up to the left on exiting the station, with the many(ahem!)-bus stops?

Member for

18 years 2 months

You must have missed something. There were less people due to the shabby weather. Its still basically the same place, same bus, same people :D

Member for

14 years 5 months

Not so sure. The old stops in front of the station were decommissioned two or three years ago and replaced by stops along a new bus-only access road in front of Spiller's Mill, to the left as you exit the station as described by Herky. Unless the DX bus left from somewhere else? Have to admit I've only ever caught it from the hotel stop.

Member for

17 years 9 months

Hi As one that's uses the shuttle bus from the railway station.I have not seen it pick up or drop off at the named hotel above for years. Taken from the Duxford web site.
"A free courtesy bus runs from Cambridge to IWM Duxford on Air Show days. The bus departs at regular intervals from Cambridge Railway Station and Trumpington Park & Ride at Junction 11 of the M11 from 8.30am and then every 30 minutes until approximately 1.30pm. Buses will return to both Cambridge railway station and to the Park & Ride at regular intervals from 3pm and then every 30 minutes, with the last bus leaving IWM Duxford at 6.30pm. Timings of buses may be affected by local road traffic congestion.

Please note that parking charges may apply at Trumpington Park & Ride."

Member for

17 years 9 months

Hi The bus as been parked in the road across from the bike park.

Member for

14 years 5 months

Fair enough. Must have stopped doing the hotel stop then. It used to!

Member for

15 years 4 months

Not on a show day, I caught a service bus from the road to the left of the station exit, there was about 5 stops and it seemed bus only, with a lot of building work opposite. It used to take about 45mins went round robin thru the hospital, but when planning a visit whilst on holiday last easter, was told the buses had stopped that service? to the biggest attraction in the area...

Member for

14 years 5 months

I think the number 7 service still runs to Duxford village, from the redevelopment area stops to the left described before.. Route here: http://www.travelineeastanglia.org.uk/ea/XSLT_TTB_REQUEST?language=en&command=direct&net=ea&line=20007&sup=A&project=y08&outputFormat=0&itdLPxx_displayHeader=false&itdLPxx_sessionID=EAEM_97_49571734&lineVer=1&itdLPxx_spTr=1

Member for

19 years 1 month

The Citi-7 bus to the museum stopped when the council sold their shares in the museum site several years ago. From Cambridge you can get the train to Whittlesford Parkway Station, about 10-12 minutes duration, then walk to the museum, about 25 minutes even on air show day's.

Brian

Member for

14 years 5 months

Yep. But the Citi-7 bus to Duxford village, as per the council website timetable I posted above, will do unless one has serious mobility problems. It gets you closer than the train.

Member for

15 years 4 months

The Citi-7 bus to the museum stopped when the council sold their shares in the museum site several years ago. From Cambridge you can get the train to Whittlesford Parkway Station, about 10-12 minutes duration, then walk to the museum, about 25 minutes even on air show day's.

Brian

yes I,ve done the train and walk, a couple of times last year. The walk is good, even got 3-4 photo's off the motorway bridge 0f 2 a/c running up at the end of the runway.

Member for

14 years 5 months

To re-iterate in case of confusion. The bus is STILL RUNNING. It has not been stopped by the council. It doesn't stop outside the museum entrance any more. But it goes to the village, and the airfield is on the edge of the village. It leaves from the station. As does the shuttle on show days. Where the station stop is is subject to change, as the area is developed. But the busses still run.

Member for

10 years 6 months

To re-iterate in case of confusion. The bus is STILL RUNNING. It has not been stopped by the council. It doesn't stop outside the museum entrance any more. But it goes to the village, and the airfield is on the edge of the village. It leaves from the station. As does the shuttle on show days. Where the station stop is is subject to change, as the area is developed. But the busses still run.

There's also a Sunday only service, No132 which stops directly at the museum and leaves from Stop 3 at Cambridge Railway station. I believe it runs every 2 hours, so not that frequent, but may be useful for anybody planning a visit and wanting to save a walk or expensive taxi ride.

Member for

19 years 1 month

There is also a Go Whippet bus service from Babraham Road Park & Ride. www.go-whippetSERVICE-7a.pdf It stops at 'Heathfield - Opp Garage' which is the stop behind the American Air Museum.

Brian

Member for

18 years 4 months

Many thanks for all the info, guys.