Dug up last night !

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 6 months

I was excited to dig this up last night........................

[ATTACH=CONFIG]236763[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]236764[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]236765[/ATTACH]

Jules

Attachments
Original post

Member for

18 years 3 months

Looks to be in great condition!

Member for

17 years 6 months

Please tell me you weren't gardening! :)

So what are they from? I'm going to take wild guess and say it was a wooden aircraft (judging by the bolts) so possibly a Miles training aircraft? Those canopy opening latches are pretty distinctive.

Member for

24 years 3 months

But why was it buried with loose wing bolts?

Presumably from the MU dump site, Dawnpatrol? Certainly some exciting finds you are getting!

Member for

17 years 11 months

Very nice find!!!! Wheres rest of it?:eagerness:

Member for

17 years 11 months

But why was it buried with loose wing bolts?

Bruce, there was a lake of crates available so one hole fitted all !!!!

As T1940 said, must be dump finds, I found loads of interesting stuff at the dump for Willingale

Member for

14 years 6 months

Yes, a Spitfire MU, 39 MU to be precise, in 1946, there were over 600 Spits stored with no where to go................

so the scrap men were invited in !

remember this photo ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]236767[/ATTACH]

we have found enough wing bolts for a squadron of Spits ! sadly no stainless ones yet.

No Creaking Door, not gardening but a stones throw from home. if only we could turn back time.

Jules

Is that photo definitely 39 MU?

I only ask because we are using it in a certain magazine quite shortly. :-)

Member for

16 years 2 months

That photo has also been listed as RAF Redhill ??

Indeed!

Member for

14 years 6 months

Is that photo definitely 39 MU?

I only ask because we are using it in a certain magazine quite shortly. :-)

Yes, I'm 99% certain! every thing ties up! certainly the topography, last summer I tried to take a comparison photo! trouble being that the original photographer had the advantage of standing on the nose of a spit to get the height! sadly the Spit was not there for me! I'll try again this summer with a tall pair of steps, but as I say it all ties in nicely.

So yes, taken at RAF Starveall farm, number 2SLG. 39 MU.

It was established because the Spitfires that were repaired at number 1 Civilian Repair Unit at Cowley (Morris motors)
Could not be fitted with guns or radios, so they flew the 10 miles to Starveall farm, an RAF unit, where they fitted guns, aligned them in the gun butts and radios, before sending them off to squadron.
Back in the 1980's we spoke to several chaps who were stationed here.

All interesting stuff

Jules

Member for

13 years 4 months

I'll put my hand up as being one of the folks who thought it was Redhill, but in the last thread we had someone said that, although very similar, the terrain didn't quite match up. So it's nice to finally put this one to bed.

Member for

16 years 2 months

That's good then has also been attributed to Horne in the past!

Member for

14 years 6 months

That's good then has also been attributed to Horne in the past!

I'm glad then that we have finally found 'the home' of this lovely picture. as said I will try and get a good 'Now' picture in the summer off a pair of steps, I'm sure the cameraman must have been stood on the nose of a spit, or at least the wing to get that angle.

Jules

Member for

24 years 3 months

It is 83 Group Support Unit.

I have this from Chris Thomas......Mr 2nd TAF.

I am away from my files but from memory that is Redhill.

Mark

PS. This is a crop from a larger image that shows the RAF serial of nearest Spitfire. This serial read in conjunction with the other serial visible establishes the time line through the respective movement cards.

Aircraft being prepared to be ferried to Europe.

There is a full caption in Chris Thomas's four volume book 2nd TAF.

Hi Mark 12

I'd be the last to query Chris Thomas, but this has variously been described as Pagham, Horne and Redhill. As regards to the latter, I am told by those who know the place well that there is nothing in the topography that matches anything around there to this image. Maybe Redhill Wings could comment? As to it being the location suggested by Dawnpatrol, the imagery I have seen is quite convincing - and he has had the opportunity to match things up on the ground.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Camera on a pole maybe? Like a selfie stick only larger.

I once - and this is one of my favourite wedding photo memories - spoke the words:

"Umm...excuse me but, err, could I please borrow your Spitfire for a few minutes?"

And he let me.

Love the look of that item, it just looks like something really tangible.

Member for

24 years 3 months

A stainless steel 'butterfly' is indicative of an early Spitfire in my experience.

Mark

Member for

14 years 6 months

A stainless steel 'butterfly' is indicative of an early Spitfire in my experience.

Mark

Yes, I guess it must be early as it's got no holes drilled for the loop pull, so the canopy could be puled with one hand.

Jules