HRH Harry Windsor logs some Spitfire time.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

Report and video in Daily Telgraph

''In a gesture that recalls the young Battle of Britain heroes who defended this country during World War Two, Prince Harry has taken to the skies in the cockpit of a vintage Spitfire fighter plane.
Video footage released on Saturday shows the Prince giving the thumbs up as he flies upside down above the English Channel, performing a series of daring manoeuvres with a co-pilot, in the plane that has become synonymous with Britain’s “finest hour”.

After undertaking their first flights in a Tiger Moth at Boultbee Flight Academy, at Goodwood, West Sussex, they will move on to a Harvard, before getting to grips with a Spitfire itself – enabling them to take part in the fly-past across the south of England, on September 15, to commemorate the Battle of Britain.
This will see 35 Spitfires and Hurricanes from the UK, Europe and US, flying in formation from Boultbee across those parts of the country that saw the fiercest aerial combat during the battle for Britain’s skies''

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/prince-harry/11514572/Prince-Harry-displays-Battle-of-Britain-spirit-for-veterans.html

Original post
Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Does he have fixed wing qualification then ? I thought he was only a Co-Pilot on rotary aircraft and would still need training like all other trainees. :confused:

Geoff.

Member for

15 years 7 months

This happened last year.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Following in his father's 'air-steps'.

Prince Charles flew in MT818/G-AIDN with John Fairey.

4th March 1971.

Mark

Member for

9 years 5 months

Do all of Boultbee's two-seater Spitfires have dual-controls?

Member for

20 years 7 months

Can't think of a two-seater that doesn't....

Member for

17 years 6 months

Hi All,
Does he have fixed wing qualification then ? I thought he was only a Co-Pilot on rotary aircraft and would still need training like all other trainees. :confused:

Geoff.

yes he did his flight training before he moved onto helicopters

Member for

12 years 9 months

Nibb100 you beat me to it. You need fixed wing before rotary. It’s all part of the training. If I remember correctly, Prince Harry quailed as Captain of rotary before his desk job. Top of the class, one of the boys, this man can fly. I just hate this daring do that journalists talk about, it is all measured, safe and within this pilots exceptional abilities. The more aerobatic training the safer and more rounded the pilot. Well done Prince Harry. Good luck with the Aussies Special Forces.

Member for

17 years 5 months

This was done last year with Phil O'Dell

Member for

14 years

I wonder if they have sorted out the route they will take ?

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Many thanks Nib100 and Wokka Bob.

Geoff.