Hurricanes!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 2 months

So aside from all the Spitfire blahblah, how many Hurricanes are airworthy or under restoration to airworthy?

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Never thought id see the day

Member for

19 years 1 month

Unbelievable they've just been slowly building up, I saw 4 together a few years back and never thought that would be a third of the worlds population, great work everyone

Member for

9 years 2 months

Does make you wonder what the historic aviation scene will be like in five, ten years time! I would have never thought the possibility of seeing a representation of an early mark Blenheim would have been possible years back. Amazing work by dedicated people.

Member for

20 years 6 months

May they keep coming BUT how many more are there likely to be,any ideas?

Member for

24 years 2 months

I've said before, but once the supply of spar tubes dries up, which won't be long, that will be it. Probably another three or four more.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Thats a shame,is it not possible to remanufacture the spar tubes?

Member for

18 years 3 months

I've said before, but once the supply of spar tubes dries up, which won't be long, that will be it. Probably another three or four more.

Bruce
Just a questions. Is the tube they are using in recent rebuilds NOS or is it from a recent production run.

Richard

Member for

17 years 10 months

Is Robs Lamploughs under rebuild to fly?

Profile picture for user DH82EH

Member for

11 years 2 months

I'm pretty sure that Bruce is referring to newly produced spar tubes.
I recall an article involving Guy Black rebuilding the machine that bent the polygonal spar tubes.

A question that I'd like to add is, are the spar tubes for the Hurricane different from those for the Fury?

Thanks

Andy Scott

Member for

15 years 3 months

hi,
there's 5 due at RIAT, with 11 of them other thingy's led by
the Blenheim...up to now.

regards,
jack...

Member for

19 years

No

Is Robs Lamploughs under rebuild to fly?

Member for

19 years

Bruce
Just a questions. Is the tube they are using in recent rebuilds NOS or is it from a recent production run.

Richard

New production by/for Hawker Restorations Ltd. On my most recent visit Tony said he had enough for 10 more aircraft.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Never thought id see the day

You did in 2008 - seven years ago!

Number then went down to 11 but returned to 12 in 2009. Since then we have seen one aircraft go in to major re-furb (ex Ed Russell) and another return after major restoration (G-CBOE), so its still 12.

But it does look the number will increase to 14 in the next few months.

Member for

19 years

Currently airworthy:

UK built
P3351
R4118
"KZ321"
LF363
PZ865

CCF-built
Z7015
AE977
BW874
BW881
RCAF 1374
RCAF 5667
RCAF 5711

Awaiting certification
P3717

Undergoing current work/rectification
P2902
RCAF 5447
RCAF 5481

Awaiting decision on how/when to proceed
AM274
RCAF 5708

Member for

20 years 7 months

I think the most I've seen up and about was three at Duxford - fifteen years ago!

Member for

21 years

Some time ago I'm sure I read that there was a restoration 'project' for a two seat Hurricane.
I think Hawker Restorations had it on the shelf as a future job?
Perhaps now there is now flying training on Spitfires, a two seat Hurri is the next step!
mmitch.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Wasn't the two seat Hurricane (one of two) under rebuild alongside the (now) Boultbee Spitfire Tr9 at Thruxton? Then the story was denied and the two Hurricanes (one now flying) became the usual single seat configuration. Later was there not some company ownership change to further complicate the gossip? Or have I got this all utterly wrong? Maybe someone who really knows the up to date and earlier history will set this story up correctly for us........please!

Member for

19 years 3 months

It was nice too see the BBMF pair up and about today

Tim S