Fighter plane crashed in Piedmont (Italy) 1944

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

9 years

Hello everyone, I'm a italian freelance researcher . In the past I have done research on a German plane crashed in Corsaglia Valley (http://storieefoto.blogspot.it/2013/02/laereo-di-fontane-uno-junker-188-in-val.html)

I'm doing research on a fighter shot down in World War II .
I believe it was a British or USAF airplane.
Unfortunately I have very few information , I just know that it happened in the period to mid-summer 1944 .
The town where this plane crashed is Villanova Mondovi in the province of Cuneo.

These are the coordinates of the area of impact 44°22'10.07"N 7°45'23.92"E

From the stories of some partisans who at the time occupied the valleys the pilot parachuted out of a nearby village and was rescued . Was not captured by Nazzi or fascist troops

I know they were removed from the plane two machine guns and the partisans tried to use them but failed . They were too damaged .

Unfortunately I doubt that it could be an English plane since I do not know for what reason was there .

Probably it was an action against the airport near Mondovi or railway lines, I found that there were bombing missions of Ceva , Mondovi , Lesegno , Turin . I have not found the mission in mid 1944 in which a fighter crashed around mondovì .

Original post

Member for

9 years

Thank you very much , I'll try that too.

Member for

9 years

Thanks also to other forums I found this MACR 8772.
I do not know whether it is possible that a plane with the engine on fire arrivals gliding from saluzzo to mondovì .

Member for

9 years

Hello everyone.
Today I had some news from an old partisan .
Unfortunately the help you gave me does not fit with his tale .
I also found a number of articles on a local weekly written after the war that confirm his story .
The plane we are looking rushed in October 1944 and was certainly English.
There is a database similar to macr for england ?
Thank you so much again .
Claudio

Member for

17 years 6 months

Hello Claudio,

Have you visited the crash site of this aircraft? If so, is there wreckage present?
Assuming that wreckage is present, most parts will have some numbers on them; if those numbers are from airframe parts it should be possible to identify the type.

A very interesting story about the Ju.188 in Val Corsaglia. Lots of good, identifiable parts too. :)

Don

Member for

9 years

I found the little book that talks about this event .
I also found a newspaper article of the 90 that interview a veteran.

From this article the exact date would be August 20, 1944, RAF's airplane.

The pilot could be Scottish William Mc Clelland.

Unfortunately, on this last part I did not certainties.