German aces victory marked tail fin for auction.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 5 months

I could swear it used to be hanging up on the wall at IWM Lambeth in the 1960's. Guess I must be mistaken.

Member for

24 years 2 months

The famous Bf110 jet nightfighter.

Very rare.

Moggy

Member for

13 years 1 month

Depending on tha fact that there is 2 rudder from this Aircraft in museums , it is strange this comes up! Please look at WAF Forum there is aperson going in detail on this matter . Conclusion it is FAKE!

best J.

Member for

17 years 10 months

I am convinced the same is hanging in the IWM Lamberth as we speak, minus bullet holes ! I cannot find my photos of my last visit at xmas 14 as i think I did take a couple of it, strange.

Member for

13 years 3 months

Depending on tha fact that there is 2 rudder from this Aircraft in museums , it is strange this comes up! Please look at WAF Forum there is a person going in detail on this matter . Conclusion it is FAKE!

best J.

If it is fake then the fakers have correctly positioned the Tail fin part dataplate and the style of tail fin part dataplate itself. Also they have correctly positioned the many small serrated edged circular fabric patches used to cover the holes where the fin is bolted to the horizontal tail plane and the various other fabric patches on the part. Obviously these are missing on the relic itself, but where the paint that once covered these patches has pulled off, the edges are also serrated.... Could you please post a link to the discussion on the other forum you mention? I'm intrigued to find out why this has been determined as being a fake. Are we sure that one of these rudders that resides in the museums you mention is not being auctioned off? Might this be from another aircraft of this pilot? If it is a fake the workmanship is beyond spectacular and that is putting it lightly... ;)

In my opinion at the moment this is not a fake. :)

Member for

13 years 3 months

So it's clear that the relic up for auction is not one of the fins that survive in the museums. So realistically it can only be from a spare aircraft that Snaufer had on charge whilst Geschwaderkommodore of NJG4. It would not be uncommon for a Geschwaderkommodore and highly respected ace nightfighter pilot to have spare aircraft available to him for use if his usual mount was being serviced etc.

The dates on the auction relic do correlate to Snaufer's known victory list.

Member for

14 years

If it is fake then the fakers have correctly positioned the Tail fin part dataplate and the style of tail fin part dataplate itself. Also they have correctly positioned the many small serrated edged circular fabric patches used to cover the holes where the fin is bolted to the horizontal tail plane and the various other fabric patches on the part. Obviously these are missing on the relic itself, but where the paint that once covered these patches has pulled off, the edges are also serrated.... Could you please post a link to the discussion on the other forum you mention? I'm intrigued to find out why this has been determined as being a fake. Are we sure that one of these rudders that resides in the museums you mention is not being auctioned off? Might this be from another aircraft of this pilot? If it is a fake the workmanship is beyond spectacular and that is putting it lightly... ;)

In my opinion at the moment this is not a fake. :)

I dare say its provenance can be proven, so I imagine it is real indeed. But "beyond spectacular" workmanship has fooled many an expert before. Think high-end art and the many times that the art world has been hoodwinked. All we have here is a nicely-patinated piece of aluminium after all; in many cases, art fakers have created catalogue entries and inserted them into the holdings of art libraries to create false provenance. The limits of a faker's art go a long way beyond what is shown here.

As I continue to remind myself, one should never say, 'never'.

Member for

13 years 3 months

Oh I agree, but the effort we are talking about in the art world commands a much more hefty prize than (up to) £20,000. I have a pretty above average experience and knowledge of the structure and minute detailing of the Bf110 and whilst looking at that relic I wholeheartedly stand by my comment and would even commit to upgrading it to "stupendously spectacular workmanship". :)

Member for

15 years 10 months

If that was my bullet riddled tail fin then I'd only be too pleased that it was replaced by the one in the IWM on my aircraft.

Member for

13 years 3 months

That is indeed a very good point too. :)

Member for

13 years 3 months

Thanks Jabba. :D