Curtis C46 commando crash picture

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 8 months

Hi to all
Whilst researching the Flight 4 crash of the United Airlines Boeing 247 nr Cheyenne in 1935, i came across this labelled but undated photograph of a C46, the photo says aircraft crash near Cheyenne...nothing else. The N number is N3918C and that comes up as a C46....but i cant find any reference to a crash of this aircraft...can any of you knowledgeable chaps assist ? Pic attached

Thanks

Mike

Attachments
Original post

Member for

15 years 4 months

hi,
Tail Numbers.com give N3918C a C-46A, owned by Airline maintenance corp. of Miami Springs,Fla. last activity as of 1/14/1977. Serial 262, joebaugher's USAAF list it as 43-47191 to N3918C, YV-C-LBG 17 Sept.1953, forced landed on beach at David, Panama, 19/5/60.

hope it helps? regards,
jack...

Member for

16 years 8 months

hi,
Tail Numbers.com give N3918C a C-46A, owned by Airline maintenance corp. of Miami Springs,Fla. last activity as of 1/14/1977. Serial 262, joebaugher's USAAF list it as 43-47191 to N3918C, YV-C-LBG 17 Sept.1953, forced landed on beach at David, Panama, 19/5/60.

hope it helps? regards,
jack...

Thanks Jack perhaps i have the tail number wrong i have attached a close up of it.....this doesnt look like a beach in Panama !

Mike

Attachments

Member for

15 years 4 months

hi,
the FAA registry site has it as belonging to Airline maint.corp. but the status is revoked. To be honest after magnifying the photo to 200% it still looks to be N3918C, I did try N3518C but that comes up as a C.170B. If you squint a bit could it be showing the lay of the land going to the beach!!! or could it have been towed from the beach/and sea, the port main u/c wheel + tail wheel are intact as are the other dangly bits from u/neath. it's hard to see how a forced landing caused that amount of damage to the s,bord wing, engine and u/carriage wheel...unless that wing dug in and flipped it over.

regards,
jack...

Member for

12 years 2 months

Hi,
The Air-Britain C-46 Monograph has the following re N3918C:-
"Registered to All American Airways Aug 1951. Landed short, bounced, shed wing and rolled over at Cheyenne, WY, 6 Jan 53."
Now here's the interesting bit -" Registered to Airline Maintenance Corp, Miami Springs, FL. In Aug 53 Register.
Registered to LEBCA as YV-C-LBG 17 Sept 53.
Possible write-off 19 May 60, David, Panama. Force-landed on beach."
Looking at the remains of N3918C, it seems highly unlikely to me, as an ex-aircraft engineer, that it was rebuilt.
Perhaps the remains were purchased for a "data plate" restoration of another C-46.
It's all a bit of a mystery.
Best wishes,
Iain

Member for

16 years 8 months

Fantastic news so we have an accident date for this picture, thats excellent...i could not believe that this was rebuilt either....very interesting.
Thankyou, just new Brits would get the answers....
The survey of the Boeing 247 crash is March 21st, i will report on the findings and upload the crash pictures for that too.

Mike