RFC Technical Officers School of Instruction

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 4 months

I hope someone maybe can add some information please or anything relating to the following.
I am currently looking for anything on the Technical Officers School of Instruction, Henley-on-Thames. Currently I know that it was formed on the 1st April 1918 from the previous No.1 Equipment Officers School of Instruction in Reading which moved to Henley on the 1st November 1917 it then moved to Halton in early 1919 and disbanded there soon after. The School's used the Royal Hotel and the Imperial Hotel, Trinity Hall and the Grosvenor Club (now Remenham Club) in the town I assume as probably classrooms and for lodgings plus garages at Phyllis Court to store it's equipment etc and probably aircraft including Avro 504K serial A5940 and Camel serial B9990 plus two Se5A B4856 (or A4856) & D8510. I have found a long list of names (over 900 airmen etc) associated with the school from old Henley Standards & Flight Archive, Findmypast etc. I have contacted the above mentioned places without success plus Cross & Cockade's Peter Wright. If anyone can add anything regarding perhaps any magazine/book articles about the school or just anything one might come across then I would be grateful to hear about it.

Original post

Member for

14 years

Have you tried the National Archives?

AIR 1/161/15/123/11 - Reports on examinations held at the Technical Officers' School of Instruction, Henley-on-Thames.
AIR 1/723/66/14 - Syllabus for technical and squadron administrative officers at the Technical Officers School of Instruction.

There may be a few others. I'm sure you know when the RFC was formed - hope my suggestion was more helpful. ;)

Member for

12 years 4 months

Thank you all for the information so far, a few things to check out.

Yes I was aware of the significance of the date it's just I had not dragged myself into 1918 yet!.

Member for

14 years

Good luck!