221 Squadron Wellington vs NJG 2 Ju 88, Sicily, May 1943

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years

Hi, hoping for some specific help if possible please hence the detailed title: I am making a picture for someone whose father was a rear gunner in a Coastal Command Wellington, who successfully warned off a nightfighter in the early hours of 26 May 1943 after they had bombed Catania harbour, flying out of Luqa - thereby probably saving the whole crew.

We know from his dad's logbook the Wellington was AD603, which I have as a Mk III (and from the ORB that it was coded 'J').

1. Am I right in thinking this would have had standard camo - dark green/earth tops and black underneath - (not greys and white)?

The nightfighter would have been almost certainly a Ju88C-6 from I. or II./NJG 2, who were there until July.

2. Am I right in thinking it would still have had the all-black scheme that NJG 2 retained when it first went to Sicily from the Netherlands in 1942 (except for the white Med. theatre markings)?
3. Would it, by May of 1943, have been fitted with the FuG 202 (or 212) Lichtenstein radar?

I hope someone can help with any or all of these. Thanks if you can!

Gary

Original post

Member for

12 years

PS in researching this, I noticed that a few days earlier they had been on a "Nickil raid" according to the Squadron ORB. Puzzling over what this meant (trying to find "Nickil" in Siciliy!) , I figured out it meant "nickel raid" - which I gather was the term used for dropping leaflets. New one to me: does anyone know the etymology of the term?

Member for

24 years 3 months

I understand that WW2 code names were chosen so as to have no connection with the activity, thus providing one more level of information security

You could read into it that it relates to the almost worthless US 5 cent coin, equating to the worthlessness of the leaflets dropped, but I think that is coincidental, rather than factual.

Moggy

Member for

24 years 3 months

Very interesting thread. AD603 was a Wellington IC. NJG 2 JU-88C-6 were camouflaged mottled grey by that time and yes, they were fitted with Lichtenstein.

Member for

12 years

Very interesting thread. AD603 was a Wellington IC. NJG 2 JU-88C-6 were camouflaged mottled grey by that time and yes, they were fitted with Lichtenstein.

Thanks for the info, Steve: I was relying on Bruce Robertson's 'British Aircraft Military Serials' (4th edition), in saying a Mk III (in a batch of 50, AD589-608 and 624-653). So I appreciate the expert input. I just ordered your book! It makes quite a difference pictorially as you will appreciate. Is there a definitive published list somewhere? It's worrying if Robertson is unreliable: I might have got others wrong in that case.

And with NJG 2 - it would be much better for various reasons if they were mottled grey, but I have seen no photos. How do you know they had changed?

Gary
PS

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi Gary,

The definitive published list of Wellington serials and marks is in my book (thanks for ordering it). I know the Ju 88s were mottled grey at that time because Hptmn Heinz Rökker is a friend of mine and he was there (although he did not have any combat on that day). There have been lengthy discussions with him covering all aspects of NJG 2. There are photos of the Ju 88s at that time in his autobiography.

Member for

12 years

Brilliant info, Steve - very much obliged, and thanks for the quick reply.

On with the artwork!

G

Member for

24 years 3 months

That is very nice indeed Gary, very well done.

Member for

17 years 11 months

Up to your usual standard of excellence Gary.

Member for

12 years

Thank you David.

And Steve - I have been away so have just received your book that I ordered. What a fantastic piece of work. I don't think whoever laid out some of the pages has done it justice - but for anyone interested in Wellingtons this is a 'must have' resource, packed with the most fascinating pictures and informative text. Superb job.

Gary