Mosquito prototype back in one piece

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Bob Glasby reports from the de Havilland museum, that the Mosquito prototype, W4050, is now back in one piece, with the fuselage and wing reunited.

There are now three Mosquito aircraft in one hangar - something not seen anywhere, for many a long year.

Photos copyright Bob Glasby.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]235340[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]235341[/ATTACH]

Attachments
Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Simply brilliant! What else is there to say?

Moggy

Member for

14 years 3 months

Wow! That's some amazing progress (on TA122 as well!)

Member for

12 years 11 months

Bruce,

Is there available any report regardng 4050's airframe condition ?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Not as such, although I do know it was found to be in pretty good condition overall, all things considered.

I will ask for a comment and post it here, or ask others to do so.

Careful analysis of the second picture reveals that it is back in camouflage colours once more. Farewell to the old Daytona Yellow!

Bruce

Member for

15 years 9 months

Is that not just patch appearance of primer?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Looks like brown on top of the wing to me - no need for primer in any case.

Member for

11 years 3 months

Any of them being restored to flying condition? Would love to physically see a Mozzie in the air again, last time I saw one was at Barton airshow a year or so before the fatal crash. :(

Member for

12 years 11 months

Bruce thanks. My interest is connected with knowing something about how the glues and ply have performed after 70 odd years.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Great news Bruce, if they want a hand moving it around the hangar tell them to give me a call!

Moving Mosquito TA634 outside to create space in the display hangar in which to hold a BAPC meeting in May 2007 was the best thing that I’ve participated in while attending one of their meetings! :eagerness:

Member for

13 years

Moving Mosquito TA634 outside to create space in the display hangar in which to hold a BAPC meeting in May 2007 was the best thing that I’ve participated in while attending one of their meetings! :eagerness:

Moving RR299 at a show at Wroughton was one of the best things I've participated in at any air show, my Father pushed and navigated her in Aden with 114 Squadron in 1946. Sort of keep it in the family.

Member for

16 years 2 months

Blimey, how many more of us are there? I helped push RR299 at Elvington on the occasion of Tony Agar's Mosquito official unveiling!

Member for

11 years 9 months

What would be the possibilty of the museum getting the merlins to ground running condition on W4050?

Jason

Member for

16 years 4 months

I was told that one of the merlins is working and that the other could be restored to run (given enough money, I guess!) but as the museum has lots of houses around that it won't be fired up.

Member for

13 years 8 months

Thanks for the update Bruce! They all look great together. TA122 looks great and like she has come a long way as well...any more pics of her (and W4050 of course)?

Cheers
Anthony

Member for

21 years

Looks like brown on top of the wing to me.

Returning it to this scheme perhaps.........?

http://www.iinet.com/~nan1717/Airplanes/images/Corgi/British/AA32817_Mosquito_Prototype/Mosquito_prototype_L_0844_280_8.jpg

Member for

24 years 2 months

Yes, that's the plan.

The Merlins that were in 4050 for so many years have swapped aeroplanes, and are in TA122. Rather more appropriate. The propellers too.

4050 has been configured to take two stage engines for many years, and with long nacelles, long tailplane and other detail differences it is more appropriate that she carries them once again. I believe that is still the plan.

I see no reason to risk 4050's airframe by fitting running engines. Of course, I don't speak for the museum any more, so my thoughts are my own.

Bruce

Member for

18 years 4 months

Should the serial W4050 be followed by the suffix G for an indication that the airframe was to be under gaurd at all times? Or does the P marking include that instruction?

Member for

24 years 2 months

No, it didn't have to be. There was no reason for that.

Member for

20 years 3 months

Bob Glasby reports from the de Havilland museum, that the Mosquito prototype, W4050, is now back in one piece, with the fuselage and wing reunited.

Very impressive, Bob and team.

Although I'm sure there is still much to do, they have really "motored" through this one.

They have clearly had a big shuffle round to get the three Mosquito's under one roof. Is the old robin hanger coming down, or being refurbished in preparation for proposed development?

Member for

24 years 2 months

There's a short walk round video of the reunited W4050 airframe on their FaceBook page.