Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Escape hatches.

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JASE
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jan 2000

Escape hatches.

Just a quick question. Would it have been in SOPs to jettison the hatches of a damaged aircraft ( bomber ) prior to landing back at base? I ask because I live in Lincolnshire obviously surrounded by airfields but also a lof of woodland. Has anything ever been found.? Thanks in advance.
  • CeBro
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Sep 2009

The only one I know of was Halifax NA337, it's pilot escape Hatch was found in a wooden area. The aircraft itself ditched in Lake Mjosa Norway.
    Cees

Comment

• JASE
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jan 2000

Thank you Cees.

Comment

• Peter
        • Jan 2000

Could be worth a poke around in the woodland though..........
        Cheers,Peter
        "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

Comment

• NickB
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jan 2004

I'm sure 70+ years ago the countryside was littered with bits of aircraft - escape hatches plus everything else, but you must remember this was a very long time ago now and anything that wasn't picked up at that time or in the intervening years, would by now be covered in 70 years of growth, plus be in a very bad shape - probably corroded beyond recognition.

I remember 30+ years ago a good friend of my Dad mentioning that in a small copse near him he had found a drop tank from a Typhoon/Tempest that had probably been dropped from an aircraft operating out of nearby Predannack. Dad and I always always said one day well take a look up there, but of course we never did!
          I know of the said copse, but hate to think what state that mag (?) alloy drop tank would be in now... (if it is still there!)
          BOLTER, BOLTER FULL POWER! Keith, if he bolts again we'll have to divert him to St Mawgan

Comment

• LW206
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Oct 2009

I have the complete escape hatch from Halifax LW206. That was found at the crash site.

Richard

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
            X