Albatros D.Va and Sopwith Snipe heading to UK

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 10 months

The World War I Aviation Heritage trust have announced that an Albatros DVa, from Oliver Wulff’s collection and a Sopwith Snipe will be arriving in the UK sometime this Spring for events and airshows.

A "provisional programme includes appearances at 8 Squadron’s Centenary at Waddington, Abingdon, Bicester Heritage (for several events), Chalke Valley, Old Warden, RIAT and The Goodwood Revival at the end of the event season."

http://ww1aviationheritagetrust.co.uk/

Original post

Member for

16 years 4 months

Great news! Thanks for sharing!

Member for

12 years 3 months

Great, a new Albatros D.Va for me to see at Omaka!

It is possible that this is the Snipe in question (from my hangar visit on Jan 31st/Feb 1st, click through for more photos of it, and the ex-RAFM Hanriot)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7394/16475030255_9a4c029417_b.jpgTVAL Snipe E7643 by errolgc, on Flickr

Profile picture for user Zac Yates

Member for

15 years 10 months

Errol, that cowling is a scale modeller's dream! It looks perfectly weathered.

I'm not a fan of the Snipe but this one is my pick for best-looking off the TVAL line.

That's wonderful news for the UK scene. I really enjoy seeing the Albatros (Albatri?) in New Zealand - getting into them isn't fun - so you're in for a real treat.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Great news: there's something much more interesting about these replica WW1 types when compared to the WW2 replicas. Given a new-build Spitfire to look over, I'm done in five minutes, but looking at one of the TVAL BE.2e's at Goodwood took me many visits and I still wasn't done. They're works of art.

The way TVAL manufacture just about everything (including the engines in most cases) is exemplary.

Can't wait to see them!

Member for

12 years 3 months

Being allowed to wander around a hangar (mainly) full of them is kind of over-whelming!

This set tries to give an overall feel of the TVAL public hangar: https://www.flickr.com/photos/errolgc/sets/72157650330063619/
In this instance the non-TVAL-built machines were mainly on their way to Australia for Avalon Airshow, so they are nearly all TVAL reproductions, or originals.

A couple of sample detail shots:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8665/16296936068_9cc45fbc9e_b.jpgTVAL Albatros D.Va radiator by errolgc, on Flickr

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8638/16475029135_dcde18e15f_b.jpgTVAL F.E.2b bomb & rack by errolgc, on Flickr

Member for

13 years 3 months

Can't wait to see the Snipe in the air :D.

Bob T.

Member for

14 years 5 months

According to a post by the WAHT on their Facebook page, they need to raise upwards of £11,000 (as per their Kickstarter fundraising programme, which starts on 21 February) in order to fly the aircraft in the UK. Otherwise, they will come over but remain static exhibits.

Member for

14 years 1 month

It would be nice to see them at Stow Maries.

Member for

16 years 4 months

Does anyone know what happened about the BE-2s? At least one was supposed to be going Stow Maries but they've both ended up somewhere else?

Member for

18 years 5 months

the BE 2 pair are to be based at Bicester.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Given how close they are, wouldn't it be great to get the Be2s down on the former RFC Port Meadow airfield?

Adrian

Member for

16 years 4 months

I thought it would be better to keep them at Old Warden!

Member for

24 years 3 months

I was thinking visiting, rather than staying!

They'd fit in perfectly at OW, but I guess it's nice to share.

Adrian

Member for

24 years 3 months

whats happening at Stowe Maries? is it still happening?

Member for

19 years 1 month

Can't wait to see the Snipe in the air :D.

Bob T.

Especially if it has got a Bentley BR.2 hauling it along - anybody know what engine it has?

Roger Smith.

Member for

16 years 4 months

Thanks for that very informative link, G-ADPK.

Member for

12 years 3 months

Especially if it has got a Bentley BR.2 hauling it along - anybody know what engine it has?

Of the two Snipes currently registered to TVAL in NZ, ZK-SNI ("F2367") has an original BR.2, while ZK-SBY (above) has a TVAL new-build BR.2. If the "planned for a Sopwith Snipe to come over from NZ with the Albatros" machine is a currently unknown one (and we are watching the NZ register especially carefully), a new-build BR.2 seems most likely.

Member for

12 years 11 months

RPSmith, Shame on you!! Do you really think TVAL would put anything but the proper engine in ??
"Can't lay my hand on one, so, b----- it! We will just have to Reproduce one"
As one does.
Sorry, a bit tongue-in-cheek re above but that is what TVAL do. Absolutely wonderful

Member for

24 years 3 months

TVAL aeroplanes are amazing. Who knows they might start building twin engined WW1 Aircraft - can you imagine a Gotha at Old Warden :)