Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bodø Aviation Museum 25 January 2015

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark12
    MEANS MOTIVE OPPORTUNITY
    • Jan 2000

Interesting, the barriers, apart from the 'Wolf and Goat' and a couple of delicate airframes, there are none.

You are free to touch and walk up to most of the accessible airframes...including the Spitfire. I like that.

Mark
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Comment

• redhillwings
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Feb 2008

A cracking museum indeed, the workshop is also well worth a visit but not sure if it is open to the public, maybe every now and then, the quality of the restorations are first class. They were working on a PE2 cockpit when I was there which was very advanced and should imagine it is in the museum hall now??
      WANTED For projects: P-63 / P-39 & A-26 Invader Parts

http://wingsmuseum.co.uk

Comment

• RMR
        RMR
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • May 2007

Originally posted by redhillwings View Post
        the workshop is also well worth a visit but not sure if it is open to the public, maybe every now and then,
        I visited there last July, sent email to the museum beforehand and someone was there to show us around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	140722_0015.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	3659812
        Ju.88D.1

Click image for larger version

Name:	140722_0013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	3659813
        Bf.109G-2
        RMR

Comment

• Creaking Door
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Airfixtwin View Post
          ...the Gladiator (from the museums website): http://luftfartsmuseum.no/fly/gloster-gladiator-ii-2/
          So it is a re-build from lake-bed recovered airframe(s); impressive stuff. Thanks!
          WA$.

Comment

• Matt Poole
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Dec 2004

Mark, thanks for the images! These photos, from such a wide spectrum of aviation pursuits, really are a visual delight. Without knowing the history of each airframe I can still admire the beauty in color and form. And texture -- like the Pierced Steel Planking. I may like the Fw190 the best at the moment -- it reminds me of Popeye, with the landing gear reminiscent of muscular forearms.
            RAF LIBERATORS OVER BURMA (subtitled FLYING WITH 159 SQUADRON) by Bill Kirkness DFM and Matt Poole, published by Fonthill Media

Comment

• jeepman
              infrequent poster now
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Creaking Door View Post
              So it is a re-build from lake-bed recovered airframe(s); impressive stuff. Thanks!
              Isn't it the one that was recovered virtually complete (within weeks or months of its dunking near the edge of the lake) by a local pastor and then stored in a shed well into the early 1980's before being restored
              JM

Comment

• stuart gowans
                Not a real Spitfire
                • Dec 2005

What is the significance of the log cabin, is it as it looks a nordic control tower?
                Why be your own worse critic, that's what the forum is for.

Comment

• Airfixtwin
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Jul 2006

Seeing that JU88 got me looking for more info;

Blog on the restoration here: http://blhf.org/wips/1996884025/

Quality stuff!

Comment

• Mark12
                    MEANS MOTIVE OPPORTUNITY
                    • Jan 2000

The light bathing the Ju88 diorama I am assuming is to represent the 'Northern Lights' out on the tundra.

The lights had been our prime reason for undertaking this trip and there was no guarantee that we would see them.

We were very fortunate to view them on a number of occasions but each time from a moving ship which was quite a photographic challenge with 6-10 seconds exposure times.

Just magnificent.

Mark
                    Last edited by Mark12; 16th February 2015, 17:11.
                    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Comment

• ozplane
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Mar 2004

Great shots, both of the aircraft and the Northern Lights. At the risk of thread drift, I was lucky enough to see them on the way home from London one evening. I thought at first Biggleswade was on fire (good thing/bad thing?) but it proved to be the Lights. The final flourish looked like a celestial Japanese flag. Amazing sight.

Comment

• RogerN
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Apr 2011

Great pics: thanks for sharing.
                        I saw some of those airframes when they were in Guardamoen before the collection was split up with some going north to Bodo and the remainder staying south moving into a new purpose built building on the opposite side of the airfield.
                        Roger

Comment

• Tin Triangle
                          Bright Young Thing
                          • Dec 2009

Great shots Mk.12, thanks for posting! Now, does anybody have any of the Gladiator before its restoration (or even an interior shot?) I've often wondered how complete they managed to get it internally.
                          Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

Comment

• Blue_2
                            YAM Meteor spanner monkey
                            • Feb 2010

Did you happen to get any shots of the Canberra T.17 I seem to recall they have at Bodo?
                            Restoring Meteor NF.14 WS788, one rusty nail at a time...

Comment

• Mark12
                              MEANS MOTIVE OPPORTUNITY
                              • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Blue_2 View Post
                              Did you happen to get any shots of the Canberra T.17
                              Not on display inside and not visible outside although there was a fair bit of snow.

It was a whistle stop visit and excruciatingly expensive if you missed the ship sailing.

Mark

Comment

• Mark12
                                MEANS MOTIVE OPPORTUNITY
                                • Jan 2000

I nearly choked on my muesli this morning when this image of Spitfire MH350 taken at Bodø airport in 2012 turned up. The correct and former codes..how could we have missed this for the Vol.I Spitfire Survivors 'boo'?

Then thankfully I saw the gauge of the suspension wires...it was a replica and a damn good one too. All the tricky bits, the prop, spinner, the tail wheel, the trims tabs all done very very well.

Mark

Image by Pip Marriage
                                Last edited by Mark12; 15th February 2015, 17:36.

Comment

• stuart gowans
                                  Not a real Spitfire
                                  • Dec 2005

It was always my understanding that the replicas were heavier than the originals?

Comment

• Mark12
                                    MEANS MOTIVE OPPORTUNITY
                                    • Jan 2000

Well for a start I think you be sure there is no engine in the replica, nor u/c legs capable of supporting the structure.

Mark

Comment

• stuart gowans
                                      Not a real Spitfire
                                      • Dec 2005

Yes granted, but I recall Terry A, (who used to manufacture them) saying they were heavier, and the heaviest by far were those made by Feggins Brown for PoC.

Comment

• Robert Whitton
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Mark12 View Post
                                        I nearly choked on my muesli this morning when this image of Spitfire MH350 taken at Bodø airport in 2012 turned up. The correct and former codes..how could we have missed this for the Vol.I Spitfire Survivors 'boo'?

Then thankfully I saw the gauge of the suspension wires...it was a replica and a damn good one too. All the tricky bits, the prop, spinner, the tail wheel, the trims tabs all done very very well.

Mark
                                        I think the replica was exchanged with the Oslo Spitfire
                                        Attached Files
                                        Robert Whitton,
                                        Edinburgh, Scotland

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                        X