TFC Fiat CR.42 Updates

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 6 months

Does anyone have any further update to this exciting restoration project?

Original post

Member for

18 years 6 months

Does anyone have any further update to this exciting restoration project?

The last I heard was that they were still searching for some parts - Beaufighter Vi is the man in the know.

Still with Clive Denney at Vintage fabrics at Audley end as far as I'm aware.

This is one hell if a project!!

Member for

20 years

Vintech have the engine, at Little Gransden.

With no manuals, it is rather slow going, but the finished job will be, as always, immaculate.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Vintech have the engine, at Little Gransden.

With no manuals, it is rather slow going,.

Uh! Where do you get this BS? We have manuals for the A-74RC38 in Italian and English and the Fits and Clearances in German which have been translated into English. Engine modifications have been copied from manuals held by the Swedish Air Force Museum.

Our friends in Italy and Sweden, individuals and groups (GAVS) have come up real trumps with copies of manuals covering most aspects of the aircraft, yes, even the fabric covering which is done differently to the norm. The latest find was a manual giving detail of the colour codes painted on the various system pipelines for identification purposes, they are being painted on today.
GAVS members have been trawling the Fiat archives in Turin trying to find some engine drawings, others are looking for Italian UNI specifications prior to 1964.

The support we have had for this project from our European friends has been incredible.

We are still looking for original fuel system components, the fuel cocks are push pull, so if you know .......

Member for

18 years 6 months

Uh! Where do you get this BS? We have manuals for the A-74RC38 in Italian and English and the Fits and Clearances in German which have been translated into English. Engine modifications have been copied from manuals held by the Swedish Air Force Museum.

Our friends in Italy and Sweden, individuals and groups (GAVS) have come up real trumps with copies of manuals covering most aspects of the aircraft, yes, even the fabric covering which is done differently to the norm. The latest find was a manual giving detail of the colour codes painted on the various system pipelines for identification purposes, they are being painted on today.
GAVS members have been trawling the Fiat archives in Turin trying to find some engine drawings, others are looking for Italian UNI specifications prior to 1964.

The support we have had for this project from our European friends has been incredible.

We are still looking for original fuel system components, the fuel cocks are push pull, so if you know .......

I told ya....?

Member for

12 years 4 months

Thanks for the update and clarification Beaufighter VI

Member for

16 years 4 months

Just hope u can get the missing parts

Member for

12 years 6 months

Do you still need an old BTH compressor for her Peter?

Member for

15 years 6 months

Although there is not much out there on this aircraft - and I understand the reasoning - are there any major stumbling blocks remaining? Please excuse the naiveity if I have missed something on the web that would have already answered that question. I'm just a real fan of the type.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Do you still need an old BTH compressor for her Peter?

Thanks to friends in Jersey and Australia have received some AVA compressors. Whilst this helps with the internals we need the outer casing for the Italian version, this has A-74 stamped on the outside.
Over the years we have found that parts eventually come out of the woodwork but this a/c is a bit more exotic.
So far we have had an original tool bag with tools from Sweden, along with a very rare compressor mount. A Garelli compressor and air tank from Spain which was being sold by an auction house in France! What more is out there?
Anybody with contacts in Hungary, they were operated there?

Member for

18 years 6 months

- are there any major stumbling blocks remaining?

Not so much stumbling blocks, just normal difficulties. Some of the larger companies who have facilities we require see the jobs we want done as not worth getting out of bed for. The other problem as soon as you mention "aircraft" their legal beagles tell them to leave it alone. We recently had a flexible fuel pump drive manufactured, beautiful job put together by three guys who came to the project. "Sorry you can't have it, its being fitted to an a/c!"

However we keep digging and find the good guys in the end.

Member for

15 years 6 months

Beaufighter VI, I know what you mean. I have been associated with quite a few "normal" restorations (nowhere near the rarity of the CR.42) and as soon as 'aircraft' is mentioned the stars go into the supplier's eyes and the price quadruples. Had a release looked at for a new inertia reel for the rear seat of my restoration. Price from overseas would have paid off half the national debt of Africa. A local bicycle shop could do the same cable for $AUST12.00 but when I told them what it was for they shook their heads and said that even though it would be simple and exactly the same - not similar to - exactly the same as the original, they could not do it due to 'liability'.

Anyway, my best wishes for the project. I am waiting with great expectation for the machine's completion. Had some great discussions with Bobby Gibbes about the Falco. He was very impressed with it.

Member for

20 years

Uh! Where do you get this BS?

MV told me himself that there were very significant gaps in the technical data that was required. It sounds as though things have moved forward since then.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Propstrike - Maybe before posting such a statement on a public forum you should check your facts. The design department at the CAA, or should I say a certain individual in the design department, would trawl these forums and find such posts and bring down a reign of terror on the poor unfortunates involved whether the statement was true or false. Luckily the individual has now departed.
I am sure I am not alone in this experience and I know some of the moderators are aware of it.

Member for

17 years 10 months

Good post Pete, I know most members do not post maliciously but unfortunately do not see the consequences of such statements.
Thank you for putting the record straight on the subject so the rumor's do not propagate into what then ends up looking like facts.

Member for

18 years 6 months

I'm sure I speak for everybody when I say I cannot wait to see a gladiator and cr42 formation. Saying that - a gladiator and Blenheim formation is also rather mouthwatering!

Especially if the third gladiator can be made airworthy in the future!

Member for

18 years 6 months

I'm sure I speak for everybody when I say I cannot wait to see a gladiator and cr42 formation.

Help make it happen guys! Put out the word to your friends in Europe. Spain, Sweden, Hungary, Germany, Africa, Iraq and of course Italy, all were touched by the "Falco". In some dark and dinghy shed there might be the spares we need.

The pace is hotting up make it happen!

Couldn't resist but post the rather appropriate cover illustration on the current 'Britain at War' magazine:

Member for

19 years 11 months

Couldn't resist but post the rather appropriate cover illustration on the current 'Britain at War' magazine:

Have you been taking lessons from Twin Otter?

Certainly not, Jeepman.

I think I taught him all he knows!

Member for

20 years 8 months

I'm sure I speak for everybody when I say I cannot wait to see a gladiator and cr42 formation. Saying that - a gladiator and Blenheim formation is also rather mouthwatering!

Especially if the third gladiator can be made airworthy in the future!

Be nice to see the Bristol engined trio again. Gladiator, Blenheim and Lysander. Would be even better if the RNHF Swordfish joined in.