TFC Fiat CR.42 Updates

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 5 months

Why not pop a Mercury on the front? I've just noticed how similar they are!

Member for

18 years 7 months

Why not pop a Mercury on the front? I've just noticed how similar they are!

Why when we have four A-74's?
We are doing our best to present you with the real thing.
The original engines ran on castor oil, only recently one of our Italian friends discovered that the engines were modified to run on mineral oil. Such engines had "M" in red painted on the reduction gear. We have two modified engines.

Member for

12 years 10 months

Will the A-74 that Vintech are overhauling run on castor oil?

Member for

14 years 7 months

Does that also mean anyone who fly's it will get the runs?

Member for

18 years 7 months

Mineral oil. Shame as I love that smell of hot castor oil

Member for

12 years 5 months

Wow 4 engines ! They can't be easy to find. Least it makes building up a spare easier.

Member for

16 years 5 months

I was only joking. I think the CAA might present u with a LOT of paperwork (even if the do say yes!)
Btw, do u have all the parts u need yet?

Member for

18 years

The original engines ran on castor oil, only recently one of our Italian friends discovered that the engines were modified to run on mineral oil. Such engines had "M" in red painted on the reduction gear. We have two modified engines.

What was the modification?

Member for

18 years 7 months

What was the modification?

The engine was designed to run on 87 octane gasoline and castor oil but this was found to be incompatible with the use of fuel whose anti-detonation properties were obtained with high percentages of tetraethyl lead, and caused rapid deposit of crustaceans on the valves stems. This caused frequent valve blockages when, during take-off with the engine well warmed up, the rapid cooling of the valve covers and seats could cause the seizing of the encrusted valve stems, especially the induction ones, with the possibility of dangerous flame blowback.
In order to change over to mineral oil, it was found necessary to change the cylinder barrel material from carbon steel to chrome-molybdenum steel: this was effected from engines A74RC38 no. 324 (MM26111) and A74R1C38 n. 1052 (MM33156). Engines modified for mineral oil were identified with an “M” painted in red on the reduction gearbox.
The Cr-Mo steel barrels had to be internally rectified before being screwed on the cylinder head, and therefore the coupling barrel-head was slightly different, making the two engines non identical.
Between June and July 1942 there was a heavy crisis due to the supply of oil rings made by RIV-Nova Ferroxe, which gave unacceptable oil consumption levels. These were replaced by rings also made by RIV but under Goetze license”

Member for

18 years

Quite a change then. Many thanks for the details.

Member for

10 years 2 months

, and caused rapid deposit of crustaceans on the valves stems. ”

A bad dose of crabs then?

Member for

11 years 2 months

A teaspoon of Castrol R in the fuel tank of any modern motorcycle or car makes the exhaust smell like a real one and makes petrolheads scratch their heads in confusion. a couple of drops in the fuel tank of my Suffolk Punch lawn mower makes doing the garden an absolute joy!

Member for

17 years 9 months

A teaspoon of Castrol R in the fuel tank of any modern motorcycle or car makes the exhaust smell like a real one and makes petrolheads scratch their heads in confusion. a couple of drops in the fuel tank of my Suffolk Punch lawn mower makes doing the garden an absolute joy!

Whilst following the rest of the posts with great interest, I chuckled greatly at the above. Now will it make a 2 ltr Cerulean Blue Saab Convertible smell like a Bugatti type 35.

John

Ex Coningsby Sgt's Mess when Pete was there.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Well it makes my 2002 Aprilia Caponord smell like an Brough Superior SS100, so anything goes I reckon? I used to do it on a Yamaha TRX850 which I had debadged, lost count how many old boys would come up to me and tell me how they used to own a Norton/Triumph/Panther just like it. I always found it amazing that the smell was so evocative that it could completely trick the eye.

Member for

16 years 5 months

The sense of smell is so important to memory. And can even help the paralysed walk again!

Member for

15 years 7 months

Beaufighter VI...... anything further on the CR.42 as an update?

Member for

18 years 7 months

The A-74 is now with the aircraft but not fitted as yet. The reason for this is that with engine installed the fuselage will not fit in the spray bake. Detailed markings have been drawn up by our friends in Italy which we are still working with to ensure we get it as accurate as possible. We have not so far been able to find any original paint samples of the original 1940 finish. Anybody have samples from the crashed Corton aircraft. There were some in a museum in Norfolk/Suffolk, so far we have been unable to track them down. We have samples of the underwing silver from a Swedish a/c but looking for other colours.

Final key instruments have been located in Italy. The A-74 was susceptible to carb icing and air intake temperature has to be monitored all the time. To cold the carb ices up, to hot the engine will detonate. The air intake is monitored by two switchable probes and instrument. We had a 24v sample but needed the 12v, our friends have found one. Now we need a generator!

Member for

13 years

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear this is progressing slowly to return to the skies!

Roger

I seem to recall the IWM have a chunk of one of the November 1940 UK BR20 losses with paintwork.

Don't know, but I suspect the colours were the same?