Black Buck 1 Information

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

9 years 1 month

Hi
I'm researching for a painting of XM607 landing back at Wideawake after the Black Buck 1 Mission on May 1st 1982. There appears to be no information on the landing Runway (RW13 or RW31) or the approach route flown. Also, I'm guessing it would be mid-afternoon but exact time would be useful. Flt Lt Martin Withers is obviously the best source for this information, but I don't know if contact information is available for him. Can anybody help please?

Original post

Member for

18 years

VTS members day at Finningley in a fortnight. He's usually there. Find a member who's going to ask him

Member for

13 years

Hi According to Rowland Whites book Vulcan 607. Bob Tuxford's Victor touched down on runway 14 just after one in the afternoon. The Vulcan landed approximately 1 hour 45 minutes later So the time would be 2.45 approx. Assuming the wind direction did not change the runway would be the same. I see now the runway today is renumbered 13 and 31. Another clue is Tuxford and his crew watched the Vulcan approach from the pan and it came in from the west which would seem to confirm 14 was used. One other bit of proof is it mentioned that Martin glanced left to see George town on his final approach. I know Bob so could ask him to confirm if you like?

Member for

9 years 8 months

Hi According to Rowland Whites book Vulcan 607. Bob Tuxford's Victor touched down on runway 14 just after one in the afternoon. The Vulcan landed approximately 1 hour 45 minutes later So the time would be 2.45 approx. Assuming the wind direction did not change the runway would be the same. I see now the runway today is renumbered 13 and 31. Another clue is Tuxford and his crew watched the Vulcan approach from the pan and it came in from the west which would seem to confirm 14 was used. One other bit of proof is it mentioned that Martin glanced left to see George town on his final approach. I know Bob so could ask him to confirm if you like?

In all the time I was there aircraft only landed in one direction, the opposite of taking off. They even taxy back down the runway to get to the pan. A quick look on Google Earth will explain why.

Member for

13 years 11 months

Fuelling Plans Black Buck

Register and ask on here, the fuelling plan for the raids was published of late..

http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation-57/

Indeed, you may find this thread enlightening as it has both sides commenting on the War

http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/479504-falklands-most-daring-raid.html

Tony T I have spent some time looking for the Fuel Plans on pprune without success any clues
Many thanks