6/56 OTU Hurricane 'fleet number' to serial tie-up?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

9 years 1 month

Hi all, does anyone know of a tie-up listing of the 3-digit fleet numbers (e.g. 314, 327, and so on)to the actual aircraft serials for this unit whilst at Sutton Bridge in 1940 please? I'm just working through the unit's ORB whilst fleshing out details of incidents and I've started to see a few 'fleet numbers' used, which isn't helpful without a listing!

Regards

G.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

We can come at it from another direction.

If a F1180 survives then it will give a serial and pilot name for an incident causing FA for Cat A to E

Float a few dates for pilots and I'll see what matches.

Regards
Ross

Member for

24 years 2 months

Scratch that idea.

Just had a look at Nov 1940 - the fleet numbers in the ORB are what has been recorded on the F1180

eg 7/11 F1180 has Hurricane 315 Sgt H H Jennings 754910

No full aircraft serial given

Regards
Ross

Member for

9 years 1 month

Ross, thanks for the offer - we've been working from microfilms of the RAFM WW2 F1180s for the project, and a few of these 3-digit numbers were recorded on there. I've just managed to solve the mystery though (after a few hours of head-scratching and coffee-drinking) - these 3-digit numbers are the RCAF serials for Hurricanes that were shipped to Canada in 1939 and returned to the RAF when 1(F) sqn RCAF re-equipped over here in 1940 prior to becoming 401sqn.

I managed to solve the mystery thanks to a post by Bill Walker whilst I was looking to see if I could get a match on a Hurricane that S/Ldr Niedzwiecki was killed in on 18/Aug/40.

Here's the link to Bill's site: http://www.rwrwalker.ca/RCAF_301_350_detailed.htm

Regards

G.