Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cosford to Flixton

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard gray
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jan 2006

Cosford to Flixton

Flixton aviation museum have just taken delivery of 4 aircraft from the Royal Air Force Museum Cosford.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/photo_ga...home_1_3925626
  • Mike J
    • Jan 2000

Good news, that will fill some of the gap left by the loss to NSAM of the Ken Wallis-related exhibits.
    Last edited by Mike J; 22nd January 2015, 12:12.

Comment

• jeepman
      infrequent poster now
      • Apr 2004

I would have thought that the Overstrand nose section was a natural for Hendon though - even if it was a reproduction - as the first enclosed gun turret
      JM

Comment

• Moggy C
        • Jan 2000

No. It's almost a hundred miles closer to Overstrand than it would be all that way down in Hendon.

Moggy
        "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Comment

• David Burke
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jan 2000

It would be nice to think that Flixton could get the unique to the U.K Canberra B(I)8 nose undecover at some stage!

Comment

• TwinOtter23
            NAM volunteer-Plugmeister
            • Jan 2006

Pleased to see that the moves to NSAM proceeded OK – we can now compare Gnat CIMs properly!
            Last edited by TwinOtter23; 22nd January 2015, 17:58.
            Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
            Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

Comment

• GOKONE
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by David Burke View Post
              It would be nice to think that Flixton could get the unique to the U.K Canberra B(I)8 nose undecover at some stage!
              I supplied the screw kit for the nose perspex and while it would be good to see it under cover there are many things people would like to see similarly protected as well as at many museums, unfortunately its a large nose and there is only so much space available. The aim I think is to keep the Canberra cockpits together also as a group. The people there work very hard to keep things up to scratch and its always worth a visit with the new Overstrand nose alone another great draw and relevant to the area.

Comment

• SADSACK
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Jan 2000

yes not everyone has been outside in weather like this with a bucket of water and a sponge! I have!
                pb::

Comment

• Jack Ruskin
                  Key Troll-aux magnet
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by TwinOtter23 View Post
                  Pleased to see that the moves to NSAM proceeded OK – we can now compare Gnat CIMs properly!
                  Oh god he's at it again !!
                  Oh no not ~another~ separate thread about Newark (the unfriendly museum) !

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                    • Jan 2006

That's right – helping out by travelling to Newark to photograph the CIM and emailing the photographs off to Flixton to help with their new acquisition; as mentioned in another thread – try to keep up!
                    Last edited by TwinOtter23; 29th January 2015, 20:23. Reason: typo!

Comment

• David Burke
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Jan 2000

'I supplied the screw kit for the nose perspex and while it would be good to see it under cover there are many things people would like to see similarly protected as well as at many museums, unfortunately its a large nose and there is only so much space available.'

Maybe -but its the case that the Canberra B(I)8 nose probably arrived there twenty years ago . From memory its probably the only operational RAF B(I)8 nose in the U.K -if you continue to acquire aircraft that can only compound the problem in the long term ! So whilst its nice that people donate the likes of the Fairchild F.24 and Stearman -sometimes
                      you need to look closely at relevance and decide what is significant in both local and U.K heritage and taylor your undercover displays to that.

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                        • Jan 2006

Arrangements now completed for a team from NSAM to visit Newark in early March to compare notes on CIMs and to explore further co-operation between the two sites.

Comment

• Wulfie
                          StART
                          • Mar 2011

I tried desperately to get the Overstrand nose to Cockpitfest over the years/ As it's mounted on a road=going trailer is there any chance that NASAM will take it there ?

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                            • Jan 2006

As you know Wulfie I also tried to secure its participation in 2014, without success.

I can confirm that the question is on my list for when I meet with the guys from NSAM in March. It would be a great addition to this years Cockpit-Fest!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                            X