ID for a Mustang control column?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 11 months

I don't normally buy wreckage, but this came from a militaria shop in Wales, alledegedly P51 dug up in Normandy. The '88' part number concerned me, being Harvard/AT6 but there are 73 stamps on the fittings and a 99 prefix on the base of the column. This would make it an Allison engine P51A, possibly RAF. Does anyone recognise the display board, possibly from Duxford? The column has the thick gloss varnish of a 70s recovery.
The grip came separately from the States.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

14 years 1 month

I'd have to dig out the parts manual, but no particular worry on NAA part numbers: they used existing PNs on future programmes and thus there are a few P-51 PNs used on the F-86 etc.

I'd question the 'RAF Mustang' ID from the USAAF insignia on the plaque. Assuming of course that the original dig had identified it correctly of course.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Thanks Sabrejet. I never trust display boards, always go by the item itself!

Member for

20 years 1 month

As per my post on FB - that's Mustang. The AT-6 and P-51 sticks are the same as are the NAA rudder pedals - the base though is Mustang - the T-6 one is different. How do I know? I swapped some pedals and a stick to a Mustang rebuilder in Illinois for a brand new set of B-3/B-5 grips (I forget the designation now) for our T-6G!

Member for

16 years 11 months

Thanks for the extra info TT. I'd looked at the T6 stick in a previous 'favourite grip' thread to reassure myself but it's good to have it confirmed. Interesting crossover with all these forums and groups! Strange that more manufacturers didn't go down the common parts route. Mind you, the Luftwaffe did and look where it got them...

Member for

20 years 10 months

Ian_

If you ever fancy parting with it please let us know. We need one of these for our P-51 cockpit - one of the few pieces that is now eluding us.

Cheers

Jason
Bottisham Airfield Museum
[email]jasonwebb@bottishamairfieldmuseum.org.uk[/email]