Battle of Britain new 50p coin

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 11 months

Something wrong with the artwork from the Royal mint. Cannon firing Spitfires showing a Squadron that did not take part in the battle, oops.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

15 years 1 month

Yes looks like mk9's, time travel is great isn't it?:)

Member for

14 years 1 month

No Hurricanes ?

Member for

14 years 10 months

If this is the case, then why was the subject not properly researched first? And the Hurricane..........

Member for

15 years 11 months

Never mind the Hurricane, what about the Lancaster Bomber?

[ATTACH]234499[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

14 years 10 months

Yes, almost certainly they are Mk 9 Spitfires, and therefore were well post the B of B. Also it seems that Squadron code 'ON' was used by 11, 107 & 119 Squadrons during the war, and possibly 124 Squadron flying Mk VII HF (June '43). And is that a Maple Leaf on the fuselage below the canopy? Did any of these Squadrons participate in the Battle?

Has anyone had a look at the rest of the 'package'?

Member for

11 years 11 months

'Artistic Integrity' or some other expression is far more important to today's dumbed down 'values' than accuracy or research.

Member for

15 years 8 months

Perhaps worth pondering that the 2015 50p coin is worth approximately a 1940 farthing in terms of property prices, and that may be an over-estimate.

Member for

14 years 10 months

'Artistic Integrity' or some other expression is far more important to today's dumbed down 'values' than accuracy or research.

Got it in one!

Longshot - I am not concerned about monetary value, just wanted something to give the children and grand-children with which to commemorate something important. So I will not being buying.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Yes, almost certainly they are Mk 9 Spitfires, and therefore were well post the B of B. Also it seems that Squadron code 'ON' was used by 11, 107 & 119 Squadrons during the war, and possibly 124 Squadron flying Mk VII HF (June '43). And is that a Maple Leaf on the fuselage below the canopy? Did any of these Squadrons participate in the Battle?

Has anyone had a look at the rest of the 'package'?

I used to have a mug with that picture on and I think you'll find the squadron code is DN rather than ON.

Member for

13 years 4 months

It's called zero artistic integrity. Or better put "We don't care what artwork we use on the front as long as it looks BOB'ish, because 99.9% of the punters will buy it anyway"... Shame really because in this day and age I know that I could find out most things on a subject that I am unfamiliar with by simply looking on the internet for 30-45 mins. It's not that difficult really. So no excuses...

Member for

14 years 10 months

I used to have a mug with that picture on and I think you'll find the squadron code is DN rather than ON.

Ok, accepted Mike. On closer inspection it could be 'DN' and not 'ON'. So, 'DN' was allocated to 416 (City of Ottawa) Squadron RAF / RCAF. This Squadron was formed at RAF Peterhead on November 1941, just a year plus after the Battle of Britain ended.

416 flew Spitfire Vb and IX.

So now we can explain the Oak Leaf, the aircraft and the Mark but still the link to the Battle of Britain ..............

And what about the main aircraft used in the battle, Hurricane or Spitfire? So it is still wrong, or should the picture depict both types?

And before anyone says anything, yes the Canadians did a fantastic job in the war and we are most grateful for all their help. Thank you gentlemen.

Member for

15 years 8 months

Perhaps the purists are missing an opportunity....if, red-faced, the Royal mint withdraws this issue and prints new 'correct' cardboard covers, the erroneous ones already sold will be the ones that become valuable collectors items..... it happens in stamp-collecting......at least they got a bit closer than the makers of the 'Battle of Britain' film as I remember it (wrong shape Spits plus wooden acting)

Member for

13 years 6 months

Anyone thinking of buying a 50p coin as a BoB anniversary souvenir might be interested in the following:
On sale at £8.00 (yes, EIGHT POUNDS), the mint uncirculated coin has a very significant error. The Royal Mint forgot to include the face value on the coin's design. The purists are debating whether it can even be called a coin.
The coins for general circulation have been delayed for a re-design to include the value, I'm not sure if there will be a mint uncirculated version of the revised coin.

Member for

14 years 10 months

Oh how embarrassing, a coin with no shown value.

So, if the Royal Mint is to correct the coin. maybe they could also correct the presentation case at the same time.