Lancaster Bomb Aimer's panel units

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 10 months

I’m looking for any information on the three main units mounted on the Lancaster Bombers Aimer’s panel, the Selector, the Preselector and the Distributor.

Does anybody know whether these units were covered by an RAF document, presumably an AP, giving details of their operation, electrical circuit and mechanical details, dismantling for maintenance etc.

Then the obvious next question, does anyone have a copy of this information I can beg, borrow or buy, in paper or electronic form, please?

Many thanks,
Andy

Original post

Member for

3 years 11 months

hello, I am too interested in these bomb aimer panel items as I am in the process of wiring them up.  have you done the same.  I need a picture, schematic or plan of the inside of the distributor casing !! ? 

Member for

4 years 5 months

Hi Andy

(Edit - Andy, just seen how old you post is, your probably fixed up by now!)

In AP 1095 there is a section on Bomb Release Gear including the arming units and a 4 pole selector switch box. Possibly my copy isn't new enough to have the 16/32 way selector in or the 16 way panels as it's dated June 1935 but I suspect later versions would cover what you wanted.

The circuit diagrams of the bomber should have all the wiring in anyway, the Stirling circuits have the wiring of the 16 way and the later 32 way distributor and bomb release panel.

Found this - not what you want but derived from AP 1095 apparently and some interesting stuff in it.

https://electricscotland.com/history/scotreg/AeronauticalGroundEngineer…

Cheers

James