Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duxford Diary (2015)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was there today and saw "Sally B " have a little problem getting her starboard inner engine fired up. Plenty of entertainment watching the two Tiger Moths, and the Rapide taking paying passengers aloft.

Only downside was my inability to get a good shot of the Blenheim as it was tucked away in the hangar, with its covers on, and a lot of other aircraft parked around it.

Comment

Duxford Friday 28th August:

It was hanging day at Duxford today. First was Catalina 'Miss Pick Up', now with No. 1 re-installed:

Further West, both SPAD and Stearman are now suspended in their new AAM locations:

Some of the Heavies waiting for their re-installation:

DAS have begun a roof repaint on the VC-10:

Sally B performed at Clacton again this afternoon, and Spitfire PT462 returned home:

Visiting S-76:

20,000 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwhitworth/

Comment

Latest IWM Tweet:

The AT-6 Texan & C-47 Skytrain will be on the move at #IWMDuxford on Tues 1 Sept, they'll be outside 10-11AM weather permitting #AAMmoves

Comment

Is it me or are the F-15 nozzles set differently to each other?
          It is only kinky the first time...

Comment

A-W,there`s no pressure in the nozzle system ,so they are free to hang..

Comment

Yes I'm a pedant but the BT fin code is presented too small.

Comment

Duxford Saturday 29th August:

A typical Duxford day, sunshine in the morning and warbirds galore in the afternoon:

Comment

Originally posted by DCW View Post
                  Duxford Friday 28th August:

I know it's not fashionable these days, but how great to see a Spitfire in authentic 1980's markings.

Comment

Originally posted by Piston View Post
                    I know it's not fashionable these days, but how great to see a Spitfire in authentic 1980's markings.
                    Oh, you are awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Piston View Post
                      Actually that is the 'US authentic livery' of 1995.

...little better than the 'Charles Church corporate camouflage' of 1988.

One day.

Mark

"...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney"

Comment

Mark 12...good point!

I often wondered, given that there was more than enough research available back then why 1980's warbird schemes were so bad in many cases?

I have an old Osprey title on warbirds dating from 1986 which features mostly US based aircraft. I don't think there is an authentic looking colour scheme anywhere in that book!

I have often wondered why that was.

Regards;
                        Steve

Comment

29Aug15

With the forecast for rain over Sunday/Monday, well it is a Bank Holiday, I took advantage of the sunshine on Saturday. By mid-afternoon when the war birds came out to play, off on various air show duties, it was wall to wall cloud and a rain front passing to the south-west with a few spots hitting Duxford. Classic Wings were having one of their 'Fly With A Spitfire' events with Spitfire HF.IX/TA805 from Biggin Hill and when Spitfire TR.IXc/PV202 returned we had a five minute display over the airfield.

Brian
                          The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
                          DfG on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by RAFRochford View Post
                            I often wondered, given that there was more than enough research available back then why 1980's warbird schemes were so bad in many cases?

I have often wondered why that was.

Regards;
                            Steve
                            Steve,

The days in the US of taking your British Warbird down to the paint shop, proffering a couple of period images and saying 'paint it like that' were coming to an end as the millennium rolled up.

In the case of the Charles Church Spitfire I was directly involved. I had all the original works paint drawings and one of the few original MAP paint chip books known to exist. Despite my best efforts to convince him otherwise, Charles was insistent that he wanted the camouflage colours to be the same as a grossly over saturated colour shot he had of the Rolls Royce Mk XIV in a period magazine. I endeavoured to adjust the colours in his direction within what I considered acceptable tolerance, over time, but to no avail. I opted out and the 'Purple and Spinach' colours, care of a local car dealer, were the end result...much to the bemusement of his Warbird peers.

Mark

Last edited by Mark12; 2nd September 2015, 16:35.
                            "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney"

Comment

Originally posted by Mark12 View Post
                              The days in the US of taking your British Warbird down to the paint shop, proffering a couple of period images and saying 'paint like that' were coming to end as the millennium rolled up.
                              It wasn't all that long ago that the CAF Wildcat was painted in that dreadful pseudo-FAA scheme based on a single profile drawing in a book

Comment

Mark 12;

Many thanks for the interesting insight into Charles Church's Spitfire. That explains everything!

I know it's been said numerous times that warbird owners can paint their aircraft how that want..and that is fair enough. It's just those that obviously wanted an authentic scheme and fell far of the mark that baffled me. The Charles Church example illustrates what can happen in these instances.

Thank goodness it seems that attitudes have changed over the last 20 years of so...well, except in some cases like the CAF Wildcat Mike mentions...that's a corker!

Regards;
                                Steve

Comment

Nice to see the F-15's nozzles have almost matched up now.
                                  The mind once expanded by a new idea never returns to its original size.

Comment

So what have they done to the hangar ? Sealed the floor and ceiling to minimize dust I hope ?
                                    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

Latest Tweets:

The AT-6 Texan will be outside Conservation in Action at #IWMDuxford from 10-11am for photographs on Tue 1 Sept #AAMmoves

Don't miss the C-47 Skytrain in front of AirSpace at #IWMDuxford 10-11am on Tue 1 Sept #AAMmoves

Harvard G-BJST returned to Duxford today as AJ841 'Wacky Wabbit'. Pics anyone?

Edit: I'm told the Harvard returned on Saturday evening.
                                      Last edited by DCW; 30th August 2015, 21:34.

Comment

And G-BUKY arrived at Clacton presumably for maintenance. Although not sure how long you will see it for as its now for sale.

Comment

Bit of a washout this morning, however I feel that I must commend the museum on one aspect. For the last three or four years I have been visiting Duxford regularly (living on the old married quarters, it's the nearest place to get a coffee.) Today was the first visit where every single one of the automatic hangar doors worked!

As I didn't have the doors to provide agitation, I quickly found something else that bugged me. Wandering around Hangars three and four, I became increasingly annoyed with the red rope barrier. It seems to me that it is getting further and further away from the aircraft. I know that there is a lot of shuffling going on at the moment, but it feels that now the only option is to view all of the aircraft from the front. Could it not be a little more like the AAM, where you could (and hopefully still will be able to) walk completely around an aircraft?

Comment

Working...
                                          X