Biggin Hill RAF memorial chapel under threat

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

You'd have thought they'd (AT LEAST) have let the last surviving Battle of Britain aircrew die off first... It seems our government are born of generation 'C'. I'll leave you to decide what C stands for.

"By March 2016,the Royal Air Force/Ministry of Defence are withdrawing all support from the Chapel. If no one or group takes on the responsibility of this magnificent Memorial Chapel, it will be closed without access to the public or church services.

This Chapel was built as a Memorial to Aircrew, who had their lives taken in World War ll, they fought and they died. We, today, have the freedom to forget."

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/73191

Original post

Member for

14 years 1 month

It would be interesting to know how much it costs to maintain.
Probably a fraction of what it costs to keep just one of the superannuated brass hats in gin.

Member for

9 years 8 months

Zwitter
just added mine

Member for

19 years 5 months

Does anyone seriously think a future Labour government would care more?
If they return in 2015 kiss goodbye to much more than the Biggin Chapel.
The Reds and BBMF for starters.
Many of them really do not 'get' the majority's preoccupation, as they would probably put it, with past conflicts.
I hope the Chapel gets the support it deserves.

Member for

21 years 1 month

Signed.
I believe that most politicians can't remember more than 5 years......
mmitch.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Is there any independent confirmation that this is in fact the case?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Does the 'majority ' have a preoccupation with past conflicts ?

In reply to Mike J at #6 can confirm that the MOD are certainly seeking to dispose of the site as it has been deemed 'an inappropriate use of defence resources.'

See Issue 93 (January) of 'Britain at War' magazine.

However, despite the wording of the petition, it is unlikely that the site will be closed and unavailable for public access. That is not the MOD's intention.

Member for

9 years 5 months

Signed! Scandalous if true, I used to march past every week in the early days with 2427 Sqn ATC on the way from the Guard Room to the Sqn Huts. Regular church parades attended and I still pass by often even now. Can't be allowed to happen.

To clarify:

The MOD state that '....continued support of the Chapel would be an inappropriate use of Defence resources and intend to relinquish ownership including the removal of administrative and ecclesiastical support by March 2016.

Work is underway to identify a new owner...it may be the case that the site is transferred to an appropriate new owner and not appear on the open market.'

The MOD have also met with the local Chaplaincy Council to discuss the closure and are sensitive to the fact that a number of cremated remains are interred within the site.

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for the London Borough of Bromley has told 'Britain at War' :

'Biggin Hill has a rich heritage and is internationally recognised for the crucial role it played in the Battle of Britain during World War II. Bromley Council is keen to conserve, promote and engage people in Biggin Hill’s heritage. Therefore, the Council is currently talking to a range of stakeholders to investigate the viability of opening a new heritage centre at Biggin Hill, which could complement the Chapel’s visitor offering. This feasibility work is on-going, and no decisions have yet been taken'

London Borough of Bromley:

'No decisions have yet been taken'

Member for

24 years 3 months

Maybe I'm being dense here, but what specifically is this petition asking the government to do? It seems that the decision has already been made by the RAF to dispose of the site, future plans to ensure it remains open and accessible are being made, there is still well over a year to go, and there appears to be no imminent threat of closure.

Member for

16 years 4 months

However, despite the wording of the petition, it is unlikely that the site will be closed and unavailable for public access. That is not the MOD's intention.

So no panic then.

To clarify (hopefully!):

It is not the MOD's intention to see the site close. It is their intention to pass it to a new owner, either by sale or simple transfer of the property to a suitable new custodian.

However, it is the MOD's intention to dispose of the site in the 2015/16 financial year.

The above rests upon (a) either a new owner purchasing the site and maintaining it, or, (b) the site being simply transferred to a suitable new owner - and, of course, subject to either (a) or (b) being found. It is not entirely clear what will happen if (a) or (b) cannot be achieved.

The London Borough of Bromley are possible contenders, as per their statement. However, it is certainly not a done deal as their statement confirms. Very far from it. Even if funding might be available (as Tuck1940 suggests) there remains the on-going question of its long term maintenance and upkeep. In these times of national and local government cuts it would, perhaps, be unwise to assume that the London Borough of Bromley will simply pick up the tab and run with it. The local taxpayers may well have a view on that in a period when essential services are being cut.

It is fair to say that the current and future position remains 'uncertain'. It is a story we are following with interest, and in some detail, at 'Britain at War'.

Concern rather than panic might well be the watchword, here.

Andy Saunders (Editor)

Member for

24 years 3 months

So back to my earlier question. What exactly is the petition asking the government to do?

Member for

16 years 4 months

Happy new year, if you read Will Curtis post in the biggin bugle jan 2015 here http://www.johnwillis.co.uk/theclub/newsletter01jan15.pdf

They slate the airport openly for failing (in their opinion) to support the
heritage of the airport, all the time ignoring the fact that the airport has volunteered, for no reward,
to underwrite the cost of operating a heritage centre if it can be built and to underwrite the cost of
maintaining and protecting St. Georges chapel if and when the MOD decide to take it off their
books. It is difficult to see what more we might do to support the heritage of the airport.

Brief extract

Member for

11 years 2 months

Happy new year, if you read Will Curtis post in the biggin bugle jan 2015 here http://www.johnwillis.co.uk/theclub/newsletter01jan15.pdf

They slate the airport openly for failing (in their opinion) to support the
heritage of the airport, all the time ignoring the fact that the airport has volunteered, for no reward,
to underwrite the cost of operating a heritage centre if it can be built and to underwrite the cost of
maintaining and protecting St. Georges chapel if and when the MOD decide to take it off their
books. It is difficult to see what more we might do to support the heritage of the airport.

Brief extract

Yes, but with quotes like "money doesn't grow on trees" and spelling out their £6M business model then handing over a BoB heritage site like the Chapel to a commercial company is plain daft. What happens when times are tough? What happens when the airport is sold? What happens when there is a period of dis-investment due to a recession in their Business Aircraft commercial model and the Chapel needs a major cash inject?

All too risky and I believe that some of the £400,000 the Chancellor has just set aside for RAF Heritage Projects out of the last Autumn Statement should be ringfenced to keep the Chapel in Public hands. There are already too many new heritage aviation projects costing way too much money* that are seeing the loss of gems like this Chapel sink into total obscurity.

Gaz

* Like the uber expensive modern-art Lincoln Bomber Command Memorial (of which I am not a fan of - I prefer more classy memorials like the Bomber Command Memorial in Piccadilly).

Member for

14 years 5 months

They were pleased od the resources that the chapel remembers, cut their boose bill and that would pay for the upkeep. Just signed.

Member for

16 years 6 months

If I was on the local council I wouldn't play the Government and MOD's game, I would just say ' can you come and knock the Chapel building down for us?' Or find out exactly which individual had decided to remove the funding for the Chapel and see if they wouldn't mind being quoted in the press. The trouble with these people who make the decisions is that they are overpaid cowards.

Member for

14 years 10 months

I really don't think that taxpayers money should be spent on religious establishments. This isn't to say that the men and women who took part in the Battle shouldn't be commemorated, they should be and they are, elsewhere.

Those who have a bee in their bonnet about this chapel should form a society dedicated to its preservation and seek private funds.

Regards