The MIA thread 2014

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 10 months

I noticed the lack of a Rocketeer for many a long time, why? is he ok, love the hurricane project and his font of knowledge here.

Anyone else gone?

Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

A lot of the "old timers" (with plenty of knowledge) seem to have left.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Just so that it’s not missed; I wanted to let people know that I’ve included some feedback from Rocketeer in the Cockpit-Fest 2015 thread!

Member for

17 years 4 months

Only 2nd day of a new year and another thread hijack by the Newark spammers :apologetic:

Member for

24 years 2 months

A lot of the "old timers" (with plenty of knowledge) seem to have left.

Yes, and a think a number of us know why.

Member for

20 years 7 months

ooohhh,how i love these cryptic "we know something you dont type threads " :apologetic:

Member for

24 years 2 months

People come, people go. It's the nature of fora.

Moggy

Member for

14 years 6 months

It must be a human thing. Although it seems the forum has improved lately with very interesting topics.
Cheers
Cees

Member for

19 years 5 months

Moggy

Can't get past the denial stage?

Are you going to release a CD of you whistling past the graveyard? :)

If you want to fix it, first you need to acknowledge that there may be a problem.

Member for

19 years 7 months

Moggy

Tend to agree - for instance what happened to that chap who was convinced that the Germans prior to WW2 laid out secret airfields in the sugar beet fields in the east of England? IIRC he was going to prove it and get back to us.

Member for

11 years 5 months

You see - it's stories like that that we miss.......;)

Member for

19 years 7 months

Can't think of any other big stories about secret goings on - can you Charlie. It would be nice if some of these people had a success or two then we'd all learn something. Apart from the Stork Hotel incident there is one other, it's on the tip of my tongue but alas memory fails me. I can't seem to recall it, can you? ;)

Member for

11 years 5 months

I am struggling with that one too Malcolm. Tip of my tongue as well but perhaps in the interests of forum etiquette in these early days of 2015 we will refrain from inviting members to help because this thread might just degenerate.....!;)

Member for

19 years 7 months

...we will refrain from inviting members to help because this thread might just degenerate.....!;)

After posts #6 and #10 I thought it already had.

Now what did become of those secret Luftwaffe airfields?

Member for

11 years 5 months

I shall refrain from further comment......:)

Yes - I wonder....on a serious note, although Commercial, the mystery of MH370's disappearance eclipses everything else from 2014.

Member for

18 years 3 months

Perhaps we could all make an effort to get along? sarcasm is a brilliant invention (and I make use of it daily) but I have found on the internet it doesn't always come across as light heartedness, and of course some times it isn't meant to...

Many of the forum members that frequented these pages 10 years ago no longer visit, some never will come back, others (like me) drift back hoping things have changed; for me they have, and this forum is, (in my own opinion, I hasten to add) the best of the rest, and it would be a great shame if it descended into the depths that was the Burma thread, which frankly became an embarrassment.

Member for

11 years 5 months

Stuart - that infamous thread apart my limited experience over the past couple of years suggests that we all get along extremely well including some playful banter from time to time.

Perhaps the problem is with those who take the forum wholly seriously, when a lighter touch now and then makes for a varied and enjoyable experience.

Member for

24 years 2 months

what happened to that chap who was convinced that the Germans prior to WW2 laid out secret airfields in the sugar beet fields in the east of England? IIRC he was going to prove it and get back to us.

I'd forgotten about him :D

Member for

12 years 11 months

Re 17

I didn't feel at all embarrassed ! The Burma saga was great fun. It was by turn, malicious, imaginative, stroppy, inventive, contentious, instructive and showed most of the best and the worst of human intelligence.

The essential ingredient - sometimes lacking - as someone as already commented, was not to take the whole rigmarole too seriously !

I do not have the particular and detailed knowledge about historic aviation possessed by some on this forum and I am envious but, for reasons that are not entirely lost on me, they do protect their sources with a tight lipped attention that sometimes obscures information that completes the picture.

Experts everywhere, please be a little more relaxed and make your audience happier.

Member for

18 years 3 months

"I didn't feel at all embarrassed !"

Good for you; but I suggest the reason that this forum is better than many others out there, isn't because we have people within our membership who's ability for sarcasm and inventive personal attacks, is on a whole different level, but has more to do with the knowledge that is shared ( however frustrating it maybe not to have the whole picture) and I for one thought it was sad to see former friends at each others throats.