Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FW190 in flying condition in Europe ?

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yakman
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Oct 2006

FW190 in flying condition in Europe ?

In France until few years ago we Used to have one superb Flugwerk 190 in flying condition (crashed off the south coast with friend "Lon" avoiding the worst,

But now, How many FW190 do we have in flying condition in Europe ?
  • markstringer
    Mr T wannabe
    • Sep 2005

There are 2 in germany think - the green bremgarten based one (was it Nowotny markings?) and the ex Duxford based silver fish as she is now known. Recently repaired after a gear collapse?
    Last edited by Moggy C; 29th December 2014, 09:17. Reason: Quote of the entire original post removed
    I PITY THE FOOL

Comment

• Seafuryfan
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jan 2000

Calling Redvanner...come in Redvanner...

Comment

• SADSACK
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jan 2000

Was the one that ditched repaired or written off?
        pb::

Comment

• Mike J
          • Jan 2000

It is in line to be repaired

Comment

• Ant.H
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Jan 2000

I think it was mentioned on WIX that the silver example has had a belly landing/gear collapse more recently and is again under repair. I think the green one in Nowotny colours is stored at Manching?

*Edited: the silver 190 has had only one belly landing/gear collapse
            Last edited by Ant.H; 29th December 2014, 16:59.
            "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

Comment

• Pulsar-xp
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Ant.H View Post
              I think it was mentioned on WIX that the silver example has had a second belly landing/gear collapse more recently and is again under repair. I think the green one in Nowotny colours is stored at Manching?
              The "Silverfish" is under repair after the gear failure in Braunschweig. I think it is the first gear collapse of this aircraft. The reason for the previous repair was a structural problem. The other one in Germany is the French example which was sold to Heringsdorf. It is awaiting its recovery after the ditching. The repairs will be done by Meier Motors. (If they have time for it)

Comment

• JohnTerrell
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Apr 2010

As mentioned, the silver example based in Germany, D-FWMV, made a belly landing back in July. Here are some photos showing the aircraft being stripped down and in for repairs back in August: http://www.gonzoaviation.com/clanok/...ati-pri-zalete

The only flight-capable FW-190 in Europe at this time is the privately-owned Flugwerk example D-FWJS, also based in Germany, painted in Nowotny markings, but I don't believe its been publicly sighted flying since about 2010/2011. As mentioned, the former French-based example, F-AZZJ, is in store at MeierMotors, pending rebuild.

Speaking of 190's, here are all of the Fw-190's (original) and FW-190's (Flugwerk) which have flown in recent years, and either are currently operational or are receiving attention to fly again soon.

Focke Wulf Fw-190A-5 N19027 based at Paine Field, Washington, owned by the Flying Heritage Collection (the only original example flying at this time (though there are a few other originals under restoration to fly))
                Flugwerk FW-190A-8 ZK-RFR based at Omaka, New Zealand, owned by Chariots of Fire (former D-FWWC)
                Flugwerk FW-190A-9 N190RF based at Chino, California and Urbana, Illinois, owned by Rudy Frasca, on loan to Planes of Fame
                Flugwerk FW-190A-8 N447FW based at Madras, Oregon, owned by the Erickson Collection (previously owned by Jerry Yagen)
                Flugwerk FW-190A-8 N190BR based at Virginia Beach, Virginia, owned by Jerry Yagen/Military Aviation Museum (recently purchased from Bob Russell)
                Flugwerk FW-190A-8 D-FWMV based in Germany (undergoing repairs following belly landing - previously owned by Tom Blair)
                Flugwerk FW-190A-8 D-FWJS based in Germany (stored?)
                Flugwerk FW-190A-8 N4190 based at Baton Rouge, Louisiana, owned by Don Hansen (recently damaged in runway over-run)
                Flugwerk FW-190A-5 N190DK based at Casa Grande, Arizona, owned by Dan Kirkland (undergoing engine runs and final work at GossHawk - to fly in 2015)
                Last edited by JohnTerrell; 29th December 2014, 17:09.

Comment

• HuwJHopkins
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Aug 2008

Isn't there a flugwerk machine nearing flight in Sweden?
                  www.vintageaviationecho.com

Comment

• Mike J
                    • Jan 2000

The Tri-State Warbird Museum in Ohio also have a Flug Werk kit, but have presumably been fully occupied fixing their P-40M after its forced landing

Comment

• JohnTerrell
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Apr 2010

Just to re-clarify, my list is limited to only those which have already flown at some point, and includes those which are currently down for repairs and are being worked on at this time to be returned to flight.

There is the ex-Tom Blair Flugwerk FW-190D-9 owned by Jerry Yagen, which was taxi-tested, but has never flown. It has been mentioned in the past that the desire/plan for it is to have it re-engined with a Jumo. Speaking of which, I wonder how the Flugwerk FW-190D-9 in Belgium is getting along, owned by the Vormezeele family? The plan for that one has also always been reported to be to complete it with a Jumo engine as well, and it is listed on the "Fast Aero" website as being worked on. The Vormezeele's I believe also have a Hawker FB.10 Fury, a Buchon, a Fiat G.46, a Harvard, and the Hawker Hurricane AM274 that was under restoration with John Norman.

Comment

• DazDaMan
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Aug 2003

I think they also have/had a Spitfire.
                        Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• jimbob1194
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by HuwJHopkins View Post
                          Isn't there a flugwerk machine nearing flight in Sweden?
                          Yes there is. The last pictures I saw of her certainly didn't look far off completion.
                          The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

Comment

• yakman
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Oct 2006

Impressive listing ! There we see that thanks to Klaus colling the FW190 is a possible sight in world skies, but not so common...

Comment

• redvanner
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Apr 2010

I think it was mentioned on WIX that the silver example has had a belly landing/gear collapse more recently and is again under repair. I think the green one in Nowotny colours is stored at Manching?

*Edited: the silver 190 has had only one belly landing/gear collapse
                              Hi everybody, I have been away at my gfs, no internet access for 2 weeks to relax . Back to topic: AFAIK the green Flugwerk one (reg. D-FWJS) was (is??) based at Manching. It was built by Flugwerk for a German customer, and flown several (at least 2 or 3 times) by Klaus Plasa out of Manching. Sadly the owner who ordered this a/c deceased before he got his plane delivered or could fly it. There was a rumour it was (is?) up for sale by the family, but nothing official about that. I have no info about who owns it now, but I suspect it is still with the family of the original owner, but that is only my personal guess. It might still be at Manching, but I have no proof of this either. So in fact I can not add any info about it. Regarding the ex-French one that ditched in the Mediterranian, it is at MeierMotors workshop, owned by Hangar10. But as they have several Bf 109 projects under rebuilt there (G-6, G-12 conversion) I would be surprised if the 190 project will be started this year. When I visited MeieMotors in July, I took the pics below. No work has done on it in the meantime IMHO.

Michael

P.S.: pics by me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0919.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	3658518

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0920.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	3658519
                              Last edited by redvanner; 6th January 2015, 11:43.

Comment

• Ant.H
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Mike J View Post
                                The Tri-State Warbird Museum in Ohio also have a Flug Werk kit, but have presumably been fully occupied fixing their P-40M after its forced landing
                                I found the following pic on airliners.net and thought I'd link it here, it seems progress is being made. Registration is N190AF to add to John Terrell's list.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Flug-...a8002acce0703a
                                "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

Comment

• redvanner
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Apr 2010

I found the following pic on airliners.net and thought I'd link it here, it seems progress is being made. Registration is N190AF to add to John Terrell's list.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Flug-...a8002acce0703a
                                  Interesting they intend to replace theASh engine with a R-2800 (same as the Frasca one at Chino). BTW Jerry Yagen bought the one formerly owned by Bob Russell, with engine and cowling off a Tu-2.
                                  Michael

Comment

• Oxcart
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Nov 2007

They are very flexible with the term 'airliner!'
                                    Give a man a fish and eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod and he'll eat for a lifetime. Give a man religion and he'll die praying for a fish!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                    X