Tieing a Merlin engine s/n to an airframe - possible?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 3 months

I have an excavated Merlin III engine, which came from the crash site of a Mk.1 Spitfire we dug back in 2000. A very nice data plate was still attached giving both the Air Ministry and the R-R serial numbers.

Of course, I know the serial number of the aircraft it came from but, this engine was only fitted days before it crashed (late 1940), records having it still at the MU only weeks before. It had been returned from R-R after a full overhaul so, there is a very high likelihood that this engine had been fitted to another Spitfire, or a Hurricane, (which, of course, didn't crash) which flew during the Battle of Britain period.

I'm aware that, sometimes, engine numbers were entered on the aircraft record card(s) and this can be used to confirm a particular crashed aircraft i/d. What I would like to know is; is this possible in reverse? i.e., has someone compiled a database of engine s/n's and the aircraft they were subsequently fitted to?

I'm also aware that, in many or most cases there was no engine number entered on the card at all, but they do seem to crop up from time to time, especially in the earlier war-time period. Has anybody recorded these?

For those interested or able to assist, the numbers are:

Merlin III No. 30971. R.H. Tractor A 174417

Anon.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

I would say no chance regarding the database Anon. It would be a very good idea, but a hell of a lot of work.