Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gravesend excavations

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KB1
    KB1
    Rank 1 Registered User
    • Dec 2014

Gravesend excavations

Hi All

Does anybody have any information on any Spitfire or Hurricane excavation sites in the Gravesend area I am not sure how far I need to go back. I have some Merlin parts from recovered from a crash site in that area. I know its unlikely I will find the exact site but it would be good to narrow it down to a few, so any information would be appreciated.

I would also appreciate any information regarding a separate crash site. I believe it to be a Boulton Paul Defiant crash at Harty Ferry on the Isle of Sheppey. Again I have some Merlin parts recovered from Harty Ferry many years ago.

All of these parts are going to be tastefully displayed so any information that could be put alongside them would be great.

Cheers

Ken
  • Nachtjagd
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • May 2009

If you've got parts from a crash site in the Gravesend area, there are lots of folk on this forum who will want to know where you got them from!
    A Thousand Shall Fall

Comment

• KB1
      KB1
      Rank 1 Registered User
      • Dec 2014

If you look back on my earlier Thread which I would like you to read, titled "Merlin Identification Help" on the 13/12 Saturday which was answered very professionally by Merlin Pete you will see that my idea of location is based purely on assumption I brought these couple of bits at a military fair ages ago and was told by the seller he got them from a retired school teacher who lived in the gravesend area and that is where the assumption is based, They could come from anywhere and not necessarily from a excavation either and I also do not have a clue who either the seller or the original owner are I wish I did I could ask them the questions . Also if you check Merlin Petes answer you will see he has checked with RR Heritage and the parts and they are not logged to a airframe.

Comment

• mmitch
        • Mar 2003

As a local the only recovery attempted in recent years has been the Hurricane at Denton wharf. As covered in a recent thread on a petition about the possible excavation. Of course Gravesend was a fighter base which operated both Spitfires and Hurricanes during the war. Something may have been found on there (the site has been built on for about 50 years.)
        mmitch.

Comment

• KB1
          KB1
          Rank 1 Registered User
          • Dec 2014

Hi mmitch
          Thanks for the information as I said it is only an assumption on my part that the crash site is in the gravesend area I may be miles out.
          Thanks again
          Ken

Comment

• scotavia
            scotavia
            • Nov 2005

try these people http://gahp.org.uk/airport-history/ i used to help Ray Munday with his research into the area.

Comment

• KB1
              KB1
              Rank 1 Registered User
              • Dec 2014

Hi

Great site thanks for the link, also gave me chance to sign the Eric Williams petition.

Thanks again

Ken

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
              X