A very tidy looking Vulcan at Carlisle

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Looks awesome team, espcially in the Autumn sun. I hope you don't mind me getting a bit closer than I should have so a larger audience can admire your work. Apologies for the quality, using trusty phone.

Original post

Member for

15 years 11 months

Very nice, a credit to the Solway team. :cool:

Member for

24 years 3 months

Be nice to see her powered up..

Member for

16 years 6 months

I remember back in the late eighties that Tom Stoddart and crew used to keep her partly live. Not sure if that's still the case now but it's great to see the Vulcan still looking well cared for!

Seafuryfan, did you by any chance get any pics of Canberra T.4 WE188, as she's an ex Bassingbourn 231 OCU bird?

Rob

Member for

24 years 3 months

Be interesting to see how the Whirlwind HAR.21 is surviving

Member for

24 years 3 months

Shes been done up again since i last saw her. and now has 27sqn on both sides now. however she looks even better at night...[ATTACH=CONFIG]233929[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

Sorry Wyvernfan, I only had time to walk smartly to the Vulcan, take photos, then depart. I did see some more aircraft in the distance including I think a silver and dayglo Canberra. Perhaps next time, unless someone else pops in before my next visit.

Member for

16 years 6 months

No worries SFF, its a museum I need to visit myself - one day!

Rob

Member for

10 years 8 months

Last time I visited the museum which would be a couple of years ago now you could pay an extra couple of £s and a gentleman would take you to the Vulcan and would allow you to climb up inside and give you a tour of the aircraft. Entry was via a hatch and ladder at the nose carriage. Once inside it is very cramped!
Thanks

Member for

10 years 3 months

It does indeed look great. Not only in terms of condition but also the authenticity of the colours and markings :) Can somebody find them a refuelling probe?!

Member for

24 years 3 months

SAS01,

Last time I was there quite a few cockpits were open to sit in and the vulcan cockpit was open to sit in with a tour included in the price.

She is looking very good. Glad to see the jet pipes have had a lot of care as last time I was there virtually nothing was left of the pipes. They were all rusted through and coming apart.

Nice job.

Member for

16 years 7 months

I must agree this Vulcan is superb ! I spent a day there last year, very impressed ! with both the museum and the knowledgeable staff ! I have a shed load of photos from the day .... will very soon edit some and make a post .... I'm sure I will have the Canberra etc !

Keith :)

Member for

16 years 6 months

Thanks Keith. Nice to see you posting on here again!

Rob

Member for

16 years 5 months

Back in 2010, The Canberra cockpit was open and if nimble enough, you could climb aboard, the body of the whirlwind was doorless, but couldn't be accessed as the inside was Work In Progress, the Sea Prince was open throughout, and as others have mentioned the Vulcan cockpit was included in the very reasonable entry fee as I recall. There was also no hanging around waiting on groups either, other than the Museum person My brother and I were the only ones at the Vulcan as were give as long as we liked ... the Museum person was rather taken aback that it was the second Vulcan Cockpit we had visited (East Fortune several years earlier) and had done the Valiant cockpit section the month previously at Inverness.

Member for

24 years 3 months

re;

A Herculean task, and not cheap. well done to all involved.

Member for

13 years 3 months

There are at least two posts missing from this thread tonight , keithnewsome posted some photos up and I posted a comment about the Whirlwind ! Does anyone know why those posts are missing ?
Thanks

Edit ;
I've just looked at my 'control panel' and found I posted this at 22:54 on the 15th ;
"The Whirlwind has been repainted since then and is now resplendent in a 'midnight blue' Royal Navy guise . And very nice it looks too !"

Edit 2 ;
He's posted the photos up on Fighter Control too . I thought I was losing it !
http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=107936

Member for

13 years 3 months

Doh ! Thanks SimonDav .
I guess that's what comes of posting onto forums late at night but then I noticed your post above at 04:18 !
All the best