Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of damage can a 7.x mm round do?

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vega ECM
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Malcolm McKay View Post
    Basically AA shells use the effect of a small amount of explosive contained in a frangible case to do the damage - against soft targets like aircraft you don't need much metal to create catastrophic damage. That also is how most explosive projectiles and air dropped bombs work (expect for the thin case blast bombs e.g. cookies and their related cousins still in use). A small charge is contained in a hardened case and exploded either by a timed fuse, proximity fuse or an impact fuse.

Without seeming or intending to state the obvious, in most cases the resulting irregularly shaped chunks of steel are what cause irregular holes (of course similarly a cannon shell exploding on contact will also create these types of holes - but smaller). In the two pics I suspect that the torn hole in the second is a result of AA - could be wrong. The hole in the prop blade looks like a bullet hole - the slightly distended shape may be due to the bullet hitting a rotating blade - again I could be wrong and without being able to see it I wouldn't really go beyond that guess.
    I understand that early in WW2 a common British anti-aircraft gun was the QF 3 inch 20 cwt. During WW1 its standard anti-aircraft shell is reported to be this;-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:QF...rtridgeMkI.jpg

but I'm not sure if this was still in use in WW2. It would make sense if it was.

Ultimately the denser the fragment cloud, the higher the probability some will impact the target. Pre grooved fragmentation shells don't actually shatter into uniform sized pieces in quite the way most people think, in reality they shed a range of different size chunks. Even if the casing is pre grooved making the warhead metal thicker reduces actually reduces the number of fragments and hence the density of the fragment cloud. So to achieve a max density and uniform sized fragment cloud you need to revert to the old fashion canister method.

Modern missile fragmentation warheads, such as the Russian BUK, use a new take on this by using thousands of individual cubes, stacked one cube thick in between two thin metal skins the inner of which contains the explosive charge.
    Last edited by Vega ECM; 15th December 2014, 22:59.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
    X