Close calls - caught on camera

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 6 months

Idly wondering on a cold wet Sunday afternoon just how many close call exits of aircrew from stricken aircraft have actually been caught on camera?
The following two show Lt Cdr Mike Doust (bottom right of the first picture) splashing down after ejection - literally at the same time as his Wyvern S.4 VZ756 falls into a Norwegian fjord (top left) following translation bearing failure, and Lt R.C. Dimmock floating down - also after ejecting, as his Seahawk FGA.6 XE462 hits the ground at Blackbushe during a display at Farnborough!
(photo credits - Mike Doust and Peter Brown respectively)

Rob

Attachments
Original post

Member for

19 years 8 months

[ATTACH=CONFIG]233444[/ATTACH]

A classic!

Member for

12 years 2 months

Plenty of video and stills of Big Beautifull Doll at Duxford.

Member for

19 years 7 months

A classic!

But the story behind this photo also deserves to be shared. I remember when it was first published I was amazed I at how the photographer achieved such a remarkable image in the circumstances. In the original the cockpit canopy can also be seen descending:

http://fearoflanding.com/photography/the-story-behind-an-unbelievable-photograph/
Tim

Member for

24 years 3 months

I watched this Seahawk break away from its formation at the 1958 Farnborough, trailing smoke.

It crashed on the hard standing at nearby Blackbushe, the pilot ejecting just in time.

I believe this shot was taken by an enthusiast capturing the Farnborough visitors.

Mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Mark12124/SeahawkBlackbusheimg087a_zps6ea96898.jpg

Member for

16 years 6 months

Great photo Mark12, and I'd forgotten about the Lightning and P-51 accidents :o, thanks for the reminders.
Anymore?

Rob

Member for

12 years 1 month

How about this shot I took at Fairford in 1993......! That's the pilot ejecting on the right. A famous incident and everyone was incredibly lucky on that day.

Lobster

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/crawfie65/crawfie65040/28_zpsa6b09329.jpg

Member for

16 years 6 months

Excellently timed photo there Lobster. That's another incident that had slipped my mind.

Nowadays it's arguably more likely for photos or film to be taken of such incidents - what with camera phones etc, and that for me makes it even more incredible when photos from the 1950's or even earlier surface that were taken during such dramatic and relatively quick incidents!

Rob

Member for

12 years 1 month

I took about 6 shots of the crash before I stopped. I started to think that there might be some serious fatalities and felt pretty shaken up. Even more so as it happened above some aircraft on the runway (Swiss Hunters) and I thought the wreckage might have hit some of the public staying on campsites outside Fairford. I can't describe the feeling of relief when it became apparent that there was only a couple of minor injuries. The air show gods were on duty that day.......!

A chap next to me was preparing his video camera and was just switching it on when the incident happened. He just put it all away afterwards and walked off in a huff.

Lobster

Member for

12 years 2 months

If we are including non historic , a Sukhoi crashed at the Paris air show 1999 I think. The crew got out and almost stepped onto the ground they were do low. Video available if you Google .

Member for

15 years

Wyvernfan, surprised you haven't retrieved that S.4 from the fiord. LOL

Member for

16 years 6 months

Doug, it's on the Euromillions "to do list".

Arguably I guess 1999 can now be considered "historic", and somewhere I've also got a signed photo of Anatoly Kvotchur (spelling?) banging out of I think a MiG-29 at Paris, literally just before it crashed. I'm just wondering if there's any other photos kicking around of close calls from earlier times - but not necessarily from the UK!.

Rob

Member for

24 years 3 months

Blimey, just how close was that propane storage tank to the Seahawk, could have been a much bigger bang !

Member for

12 years 1 month

If we are including non historic , a Sukhoi crashed at the Paris air show 1999 I think. The crew got out and almost stepped onto the ground they were do low. Video available if you Google .

It was the last century...! :D :D

Member for

20 years 8 months

The sad thing is, I bet there'd be a hundred internet "experts" all decrying these photos as fakes! :(

Member for

20 years 8 months

A chap next to me was preparing his video camera and was just switching it on when the incident happened. He just put it all away afterwards and walked off in a huff.

Lobster

I think I would have too.