Is it possible to ID this Lancaster by the lettering on inside of cowling cover?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

9 years 5 months

Are these inspection marks? and could they lead to an identification . The cover almost certainly from a Lancaster from Stradishall. I hope to re unite the two pieces and mount on the wall . Kev PS looks like I have first pic upside down

Attachments
Original post

Member for

16 years 3 months

It certainly looks like an i/d though 463?9 doesn't mean anything to me.

SO will, presumably, stand for Starboard Outer.

Anon.

Member for

9 years 5 months

I think it's 46329 . Probably 186 Squadron, you can see where it has had repairs in the past, Kev

Member for

24 years 3 months

Nice relic, will make an interesting display. Port side cowling off of the stbd #4 merlin. Looks like too many numbers for one aircraft serial though? Wonder if it has been over written or numbers added as the first looks like a 4 or a M?

Member for

9 years 5 months

Cheers Pete .First is a 4 I think, It would be great to tie it down. My dad grew up not far from the end of one of the runways and his father was one of the men that layed the concrete. Kev

Member for

9 years 5 months

From the internet searches ive done over last few days it seems 463 is in the right range of serials for Lancasters built and delivered at the time but the 29?. The numbers look to have been applied at the same time though . Kev

Member for

18 years 2 months

Nice relic, will make an interesting display. Port side cowling off of the stbd #4 merlin. Looks like too many numbers for one aircraft serial though? Wonder if it has been over written or numbers added as the first looks like a 4 or a M?

Interesting. What makes the No4 cowling different? I thought the power plants were largely interchangeable between positions with changes in accessories?

Pete

Member for

16 years 3 months

It's probably more to do with the correct cowling going on the correct powerplant whilst it's installed in a certain position on a particular aircraft, I would think.

The engine, unless it had a premature failure and was changed, would remain on the wing for a considerable time and go through quite a few more minor inspections where the cowlings of several engines might have got mixed up.

Anon.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I think your on the right track there Anon, I wonder if this was changed at some point hence the multiple numbers..

Member for

18 years 2 months

Sorry, I completely missed the reference to S.O. Earlier in the thread!

Pete